have you guys ever seen anything like this before?

I would vaccinate all chickens now and any you get in the future for pox.
I think that it is easy for it to transmit, now that you have it on your property.
I ordered enough so I have a supply on hand. I vaccinate all, and no more pox.
Posts will say that it is the secondary invections that do in the chickens.

Did you keep him separated from the rest of your flock? I sure hope so.....that is the number 1 thing to remember when you add new birds to an already established flock.....quarantine for atleast 30 day's. You can never be to safe anymore.

I would separate the other birds that you got from him also. Although it is a little late for that now, but if they do have the fowl pox then it shouldn't spread to the other's, except through mosquitoes, of course. You can treat fowl pox by using iodine and just dabbing it on the scabs with a q-tip. You do have to worry about secondary infections sometimes.

I really think that the bird in this pic had wet pox, and that affects the air way's. It is a very good possibility that his nose and throat just closed up because of the lesions that wet pox cause.

Goodluck with the rest of your flock....I am sorry you lost this guy and your buddy needs a lesson in Chicken care
somad.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
The scabs themselves are also infective, even for months after they've dropped off. So you really do want to keep affected birds separate from unaffected ones, if that's possible. One way for a bird to get the dreaded "wet" form of this disease

I Am Glad To Hear That Iodine Will Help Get Rid Of The Pox Because I Have Been Spraying Iodine In The Hen And The Rooster That Has The Spots On There Head And It Seems That They Have Been Clearing Up. Thanks For Everyones Help With This Issue I Am Very New To This Chicken Bizz And I Am Flying Blind When It Comes To Alot Of This Stuff!!

Quote:
Iodine can help avoid secondary bacterial infections, but it doesn't really do anything for the underlying disease, avian pox (a virus). Do nothing, and the lesions will clear up with time on their own.

Back
Top Bottom