Have you used chicken nipples?

Mexiontheloose

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 28, 2012
My Coop
My Coop
Have you ever used chicken nipples? I use them and LOVE LOVE LOVE them!!! I never have to worry about the girls tipping over their waterer, or soiling it!

I did a review of it on my blog! www.rhosc.com Check it out!!

Hope you all look at this alternative to other waterers!! :)

Brian

I'm glad you are gonna get them!! And I hope you become a reader of my blog! did you check out my page on the Salmon Faverolle chicks I'm raising??

I have just this weekend installed the nipple feeder with a five gallon bucket. My chickens went straight to it and acted like they knew exactly what it was. I was worried that they might not catch on, but they did immediately! Great way to keep clean water! I am a huge fan of these. I think I am going to put a smaller version into my brooder for my young chicks. I ordered off eBay so I got ten. Gotta think of something to do with them. :)

The nipples I got off ebay leak terribly. The water just runs right out from the center hole, the metal plunger does nothing to stop the flow. I ended up getting a 4-nipple waterer made of pvc from QC Supply. I hope it doesn't leak!

I did a lot of research on the internet before finding Avian Aqua Miser! The others are "knock offs" so they don't work properly. I've been using the ones I have for almost a year now and have never had any leaks!!

We are planning on using the nipples once the girls are in their coop & run. I wish I had some now. I would love to make a small version for the brooder. I have their waterer on blocks right now, which helps, but they still manage to mess it up.

That's all I use... best things ever. I use a 5 gallon bucket and four 360 degree Superflow nipples in the bottom and hang it from the ceiling of the coop; it has a sealed lid on top of the bucket (bought the lid at Lowes) with a hole that I have the hose stuck into to fill... water always stays clean.

I have a mini version in the brooder for the chicks. The mini version is made from a plastic Folgers coffee container and two nipples in the bottom and hung from the ceiling of the brooder. The chicks learn real quick how to use it.

Last edited:
I'm using the 'cheep' online nipples; both in 5gal buckets and through a pvc watering system. I'm not
experiencing leaks nor issues with the nipples whatsoever. In fact, our 3 area F&G stores use the
same nipples in their brooders for all incoming chicks. By the time chicks are sold (within a couple
of days) they're already used to the nipple system; so it was a logical carryover to our setup.

My ONE leak has nothing to do with the nipple. Instead its in the reservoir feeding my pvc distributed
nipple system. Once I've figured that out I'll connect to the system to the main water line and clean,
fresh water should always be available to the ladies.

Note: I'll still use the buckets as backup to the pvc system. jik.

Hotspurious
Walnut Creek, CA

I bought mine from QC Supply and they've worked flawlessly. I built a PVC run that attaches to a 2-gallon bucket with a toilet bowl float. It autofills directly from the hose spicket. The girls all caught on really quick.

I have to set up a brooder using some dog kennels over the next few days. One of the ladies nearby has 25 chicks coming Thursday or Friday, but has an oberflowing brooder as it is. She's waited two years for this breed, though, so I'm happy to help! I'll be making a version for that, too. I hate cleaning out their water two or three times a day and gjeh drink ALOT.

Chicken nipples are the only way to go. I was recently pointed to a pressure reducer for $65. For my new coop, I'll get one of those and eliminate the bucket.

Back
Top Bottom