Have you used chicken nipples?

I ordered mine from EBAY and have had absolutely no problems with them. They came from China, which I assume is where most of them are made. I use opaque buckets to cut down on algae growth. BEST ever! Love that the water is never filthy, that the chickens seem to really like the fresh cool water. New chicks learn instantly after I hold their little beaks to the nipple.

I'm really interested in switching to this but am apprehensive. One of my girls is blind and I don't know if she'd catch on.

Have them & LOVE them!!! Hubby made me a 4 nipple Pfc watered for the chicken tractor and one from an empty water bottle for the brooded!

I'm really interested in switching to this but am apprehensive. One of my girls is blind and I don't know if she'd catch on.

If she can manage eating and drinking regularly, I'm sure she'd manage these. The great thing here is that if you set it up right, they will never move at all. My entire system is completely stationary. I used two different rows of nipples to accommodate smaller and larger chickens. My two-week old Black Coppers used the lower row as soon as I put them in.

Last year we gave these a shot twice. Our goose immediately pulled them out both times.
My "Big Bird" has the curiosity of a cat. Will try again when he goes to Goose Heaven.

I'm using cheap nipples from ebay in a 5-gal bucket (with an auto-fill setup based on a stock tank float valve). The nipples work great! Regarding the person who said they're not using them yet because his chickens are in a brooder or are too small: I just recently saw a picture of a soda bottle cap with a single nipple in it, effectively converting any soda bottle into a waterer. That sounds perfect for a brooder box! I can't wait to try that next time I brood pullets!

I'm using cheap nipples from ebay in a 5-gal bucket (with an auto-fill setup based on a stock tank float valve). The nipples work great! Regarding the person who said they're not using them yet because his chickens are in a brooder or are too small: I just recently saw a picture of a soda bottle cap with a single nipple in it, effectively converting any soda bottle into a waterer. That sounds perfect for a brooder box! I can't wait to try that next time I brood pullets!

I'm doing the soda bottle....works good though you need to put a pin hole in the bottom of the bottle else as water goes out you have negative pressure and no water goes out....

I have three Chicken Fountains in my two coops that are connected to my well water. My chickens are never without clean water now and I don't miss sloshing water all over myself at all.
I have my Seramas indoors and use the brooder bottle caps for them. Love them!

I don't know where you are located, but if it's an issue, how do you keep the water from freezing in the winter?

Sounds like a great idea and I'd like to try it but don't know how I would keep the water from turning to ice in the winter.

After 30 years of raising chickens I finally set up one waterer with nipples. I like the fact that it keeps the water clean but I am not to happy about the mud that comes from the drips...I have checked everything out and watched it being used. Always has that little drop the drops down and becomes a wet mess. Suggestions for correcting that problem or is that just a common problem of using nipple waterers.

I have kept both kinds of water containers out for them to use their usual 5 gallon is gone and the nipple container usually has 3/4 of the water. Guess I am afraid to force them to the new kind because it is my large layer pen that I started with and would hate to see egg production go down due to a lack of water.

Back
Top Bottom