Have you used nasturtiums to repel squash bugs?

Yea. I think you're right. So, when I find the eggs on leaves, would it be bad for the plant if I just cut the leaf off? Or better to scrape them off? The curcurbits are my very favorite, and I have some really nice cucuzza squash, Armenian cucumbers and Korean melons I'm looking forward to...I don't want to squash bugs to ruin it this year.
sad.png
I've found that you can take your finger and either rub off the eggs or just smash them. Does less damage than 25 squash bugs would do. There is something satisfying about smashing those evil, horrible creatures :p

last year I planted nasturtiums. didn't have squash bugs but it might be a coincidence. it was worth trying.

Boy this brings back memories of last years garden and squishing endless eggs!! Everyday turning over every leave. I'm sure this is why I will not have as many summer squash this growing season. Last week I tracked down seed for .nasturtium , oregano, and marigolds to see if those will help. If nothing else two out of three are edible!!

In 2016,THe squash vines did not last the summer as most developed rot at the soil level, and then the remaining plants followed suit. I think there was a bug involved---something called a squash borer I'm guessing.

Any how, I'm with the efforts to try organic methods.

Nasturtiums are an unusual flavor--an odd spicy bite to the flowers. Eating them brought back memories of my mothers salads in the 1970's.

I have not found that companion planting does a bit to deter pests. I think they laugh at our attempts to repel them. "Hey, Randy, come check out these tender squash leaves. I just love the ambience of this place, they even have flowers here!!!"

They may very well laugh at our attempts, but I'll probably always plant marigolds close to my tomatoes. I use sunflowers, not as a deterrent, but as a "trap crop". Some bugs prefer the sunflowers to the veggies. From what I've seen, they seem particularly effective at attracting spotted cucumber beetles. If they prefer the sunflowers, they leave the other stuff alone. It's not fool proof, but it seems to help. I like to have them at the end of most of my rows and scattered around the perimeter too.

Boy this brings back memories of last years garden and squishing endless eggs!! Everyday turning over every leave. I'm sure this is why I will not have as many summer squash this growing season. Last week I tracked down seed for .nasturtium , oregano, and marigolds to see if those will help. If nothing else two out of three are edible!!

In 2016,THe squash vines did not last the summer as most developed rot at the soil level, and then the remaining plants followed suit. I think there was a bug involved---something called a squash borer I'm guessing.

Nasturtiums are an unusual flavor--an odd spicy bite to the flowers. Eating them brought back memories of my mothers salads in the 1970's.

Oh those eggs... they really are endless! I shudder to think of how many of them there would be if we didn't check leaves so much each year!

I've read that nasturtiums are edible but I don't think I've ever known anybody that grew them before. I may have to give them a shot this year if they do well.

Last edited:

I know this is quite an old post but I was looking up something to deter the squash bugs also and came across this. Just wanted to let you know if it really was squash borers do not plant your squash in the same area this year or even close. This is from personal experience because they are the most evil creatures even worse than the regular squash bugs. They live in the soil and eat their way up through the stem so by the time you realized your stem is almost ruined. And they can bury themselves and live in your soil for up to two years. I’ve read you can shine a light on the stem and see them and try to poke them with a toothpick. But there is very little chance by the time you notice the problem with the squash borer it can be saved. I fought those things for a couple years. Finally moved my squash plants over about 5 to 6 feet from where they were last year and finally got some squash last year. At least tell them dang squash beetles got it later in the year. Then there was handpicking and a lot of it

While one could hope that rotating your cucurbits around the garden would help to deter infestation by the squash vine borer, it is not likely to help, as the adult is a winged insect and will readily fly to it's favorite target plant to breed and lay it's eggs. You can protect your plants until blossom set by covering them. I am thankful that I do not yet have squash vine borers here.

Here's a helpful article: https://pender.ces.ncsu.edu/2012/05/act-now-to-protect-squash-plants-from-vine-borer/

Guess I got lucky last year when I moved them or maybe it was different type than I usually plant. Thanks for the info I’m gonna keep moving them but add the insect screen I got this year for the kale to the squash also. Squash borers are the evil of all garden evils... well as far as bugs

Back
Top Bottom