Have you used nasturtiums to repel squash bugs?

Kryden

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2017
For the last couple of years we've had a serious squash bug problem. I've seen them devastate spaghetti squash but they didn't stop there! They moved on to reek havoc on the zucchini, cucumbers, & cantaloupes! It was incredibly frustrating. I spent a lot of time checking the bottoms of leaves to destroy their eggs but in the end, the squash bugs won. On the bright side, we did get a LOT of cucumbers before they succumbed to little devils. I recently came across a blog post that said nasturtiums were good counter measure for squash bugs. We don't use pesticides in our garden & I'm a big fan of companion planting so I got some seeds and am going to give nasturtiums a try this year. Have you used them in your garden? Do you know of any other plants or natural methods that keep squash bug numbers down?

I thought my ducks & chickens were eating them, but probably not, reading that no on else's will eat them. Maybe inspecting them?
I've found the eggs on the curcurbits and tomato plants leaves. So you do need to check everything. I'm going to try the board thing this year, and see how that works. I'd love to do companion planting, but not sure how to pull it off in the little space I have.
I have not found that companion planting does a bit to deter pests. I think they laugh at our attempts to repel them. "Hey, Randy, come check out these tender squash leaves. I just love the ambience of this place, they even have flowers here!!!"

My chickens won't touch a squash bug (or a potato bug). but, I had some success controlling them last year by completely saturating the soil at the base of the plants. Those squash bugs hang out in the soil, and came crawling up out of the soil onto the plants where they could easily be knocked into a container of warm soapy water. Diligent attention several times/day, especially in the morning greatly reduced the population.
Mine also will not touch a squash bug. Maybe the weird color of them? I have to admit, they are really cool looking creatures, though very devastating. The best way I've found was mentioned by lazy - pick them by hand, get them early on and they won't get so bad. A few doesnt hurt the plants, just get what you can. Just make sure you are checking ALL of your plants, even different species. If you are picking squash bugs from your squash and they seem to "just increase in numbers" you may find that they've been breeding on your cucumbers while you had your back turned focusing on the squash. Telling you this from personal experience.

Boy this brings back memories of last years garden and squishing endless eggs!! Everyday turning over every leave. I'm sure this is why I will not have as many summer squash this growing season. Last week I tracked down seed for .nasturtium , oregano, and marigolds to see if those will help. If nothing else two out of three are edible!!

In 2016,THe squash vines did not last the summer as most developed rot at the soil level, and then the remaining plants followed suit. I think there was a bug involved---something called a squash borer I'm guessing.

Any how, I'm with the efforts to try organic methods.

Nasturtiums are an unusual flavor--an odd spicy bite to the flowers. Eating them brought back memories of my mothers salads in the 1970's.
I know this is quite an old post but I was looking up something to deter the squash bugs also and came across this. Just wanted to let you know if it really was squash borers do not plant your squash in the same area this year or even close. This is from personal experience because they are the most evil creatures even worse than the regular squash bugs. They live in the soil and eat their way up through the stem so by the time you realized your stem is almost ruined. And they can bury themselves and live in your soil for up to two years. I’ve read you can shine a light on the stem and see them and try to poke them with a toothpick. But there is very little chance by the time you notice the problem with the squash borer it can be saved. I fought those things for a couple years. Finally moved my squash plants over about 5 to 6 feet from where they were last year and finally got some squash last year. At least tell them dang squash beetles got it later in the year. Then there was handpicking and a lot of it

Guess I got lucky last year when I moved them or maybe it was different type than I usually plant. Thanks for the info I’m gonna keep moving them but add the insect screen I got this year for the kale to the squash also. Squash borers are the evil of all garden evils... well as far as bugs

last fall I let my chickens scratch the garden. this spring is first time ever I have spring onions clean of any worms and larvae. I wonder if I will have less bugs too.

I sold my house and will move to a bigger place soon. I cannot use cartoons, etc because it is a big area. I will combine old and new way of gardening. this year I have to double dig anyway. after that I will keep putting beddings with chicken manure from my coops + anything else I might find. no digging in the future. I plan to employ indian runner ducks and guinea fowl in the garden. chickens will help at the end of the season.

My chickens won't touch a squash bug (or a potato bug). but, I had some success controlling them last year by completely saturating the soil at the base of the plants. Those squash bugs hang out in the soil, and came crawling up out of the soil onto the plants where they could easily be knocked into a container of warm soapy water. Diligent attention several times/day, especially in the morning greatly reduced the population.

Back
Top Bottom