Have your hens ever squatted for you?

McGoo

Crowing
14 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Mid Hudson River Valley, NY
In the past couple of days 2 different hens have squatted for me. Wonder why?

I was thinking that there hasn't been a rooster in a few months and now there's a young cockrel starting to sow his wild oats with some of the 'lower on the pecking order' chickens. Both of these gals are high up on the pecking order.

Any ideas?
idunno.gif

Is it because you walked up to them to touch them?
The semi tame ones, if you walk up to them to touch them, they will crouch down and raise their wings in a submissive gesture. It's sweet.

that is what they do if they want u to pet them or pick them up i have alot of girls that do it and a few roos also.

they come to the door to greet me then they take turns doing a huddle like that. i take em out and play with them, carry them around and sing to them while we feed ect. then they go back in and another one wants loveins. it's awesome, it's their way of telling us what they want,lol just like a little kid would. that's how u know who is the spoiled ones!
tongue.png

The hens show their submissiveness to the rooster by crouching when he comes near them so he can then 'do his thing'. They are seeing you as their rooster - the head of the flock. It's a totally submissive gesture letting you know that you are the dominant roo of the flock.

My hens don't squat, they just run like forrest gump,
lol.png
I wish they would squat. Then mabey I would get an egg.

Yea my hens used to that i don't know why though.
They do it when the dog plays w/ them too. I think they get scared or something.

when they squat it means theyll lay soon mine was squatting for acouple of weeks til she finally gave me our first egg today yeah
clap.gif

My hens are 1 day short of 15 weeks and one laid their first egg. I had a suspect and asked her if she was the one and she squatted for me. I took it as a yes. lol

mine follow me as a sign of my leadership (or a sign of wanting food). they haven't squatted yet, except when they stand in front of me, look at me and squeeze a poo for me. another gesture of what they think of my leadership and feeding skills.
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom