Having a bad time with my hens!

magikchick

~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~
12 Years
Apr 21, 2007
SW Florida
I have a bantam cochin hen that just hatched out 2 chicks. She pushed one of the chicks away so I'm trying to nuse it back. The other chick seemed fine up and running around. I went out to the pen a few minutes ago and she had killed it. This was her first hatch. I guess she didn't know what to do with the babies.

Now I have another hen on eggs due to hatch in a few days. I found one of her eggs crushed open. Then menbrane is still intact and the chick is still alive inside. My bator is on with silkie eggs incubating. I wrapped the egg in a moist cloth and stuck it in my bator. Don't know it it will make it or not.

oh no thats bad, i feel for you it must be heartbreaking watching this happen
hugs.gif

I cant offer you any advice as im new to hatching eggs too but i hope she overcomes this and looks after the remaining chicks:fl

Shoot! Sometimes broodies just don't get it right the first time. Is the broody that's on the eggs right now by herself, or is she in with other chickens? The reason I ask is that I have noticed this has only happened to me if I leave the broody in with other chickens and they get ornery with each other on the nest. Just a thought. . .
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom