Having "empty nest" issues tonight

Update:

Our EEs survived! When DH opened the pop door Mon. am all the big girls & boys came flying out, all the EE's stayed inside to eat & drink, joined the big ones out in the run, and promptly flew over the 6' 6" fence to spend the day in the barn and free ranging. I found them resting more than usual during the day, so they must have been too stressed to sleep in the coop.

Three of the pullets had evidence of feathers out of place so the big girls let them know who was in charge. But all in all not a complete failure. I provided the failure last evening.

DH forgot a dinner meeting he was to attend last night so at the very last minute, showered, dressed and left the evening chores to me. I encouraged him to go - it was an important meeting. But I have some physical issues that makes the end of the day chores a challenge
old.gif
BTW I have NOT started growing the beard!

I did not try to put the EEs in with the big chooks, I wimped out and did the easy thing and let them go back to the garage pen. They were sooo happy, content, pleased with themselves. (yes, some of those "feelings" were mine)

Now, they are going to be completely confused. We will have to decide what the plan will be tonight. We really want them in the coop at night and to free range during the day. I hope there are no forgotten meetings tonight so that we can continue with the move.

The great thing is that in 4 more weeks, hopefully before the snow flies, we get to do this again with the 18 still in the garage pen. We will have to tear down the garage pen, clean, sterilize, and be able to park our car before it snows.

We are learning so much about so many things. Who said you can't teach an old dog new tricks.
roll.png

Quote:
I almost did the same thing and brought the little ones back in, but i resisted. I am feeling so bad. The other 3 that are in the coop with them peck them every chance they get! They are 1 month older than the babies. I let the older ones free range during the day so the babies can actually have a break. They have places to hide to avoid them. I actually stood outside and watched them fall asleep so they wouldn't peck anymore. I wanted to wait 1 more month before putting them out, but it will be too cold then. I hope this stops soon!! I'm feeling so bad, i feel like i'm loosing my mind!!!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom