Having issues with swollen eyes

Micki21965

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 24, 2012
Channahon, Illinois
Hi I'm new to BYC and fairly new to raising chickens. I purchased some banty hens from the someone and also a pair of mille fluers at a swap in the begging of Sept. One blue wyandotte (Cami) and 2 buff brahmas (Lavergne & Shirley). I (not knowing any better put them in there intended homes with there intended roos and other hens. I already had 3 roos and 3 coops and was looking for hens to put with them. I noticed about a week ago that the one hen that was in with (a not so nice roo) had her eye closed and it was swollen. I took her out thinking that she had been pecked. Then her other eye swelled and she was a little offstandish and lethargic, but still eating and drinking okay with no sneezing or breathing issues that I could see or hear. I didn't do anything with her except separate her. Her eyes are looking better, but still kinda swollen, but now I noticed that one of the other hens that came in with her is acting kinda offstandish, and one of my original hens that she is in with has some white lines in her one eye. What do I do? I only have 3 coops finished, and the pair of mille fluers and the hen with the swollen eyes in my kitchen (in seperate cages). My banty's are separate from my standard and so far my standards are all okay, but really worried about my bantams.
sad.png
Will try to get some pics on here of the swollen eyed banty (Shirley) and the banty (Nannette) with white lines in her eye. Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

Expert's Answer From I thread I read a while back

The eggs are indicators that the respiratory virus is present in the hens. The hens laying these odd eggs need to be isolated. The most likely disease causing the symptoms you're seeing is infectious bronchitis, the most contagious of the poultry respiratory diseases. Infectious laryngotracheitis is the second possibility, but the symptoms fit infectious bronchitis better. You can look each of these diseases up online to read detailed descriptions of each.
all you can do for them is to support them, picking the scabs of the pox away from their eyes and mouths so they can eat. An electrolyte solution in their drinking water is often helpful as is the Tylan you're already using,
Vita-Tone is a good brand of electrolyte, or you can make your own at home using 1/3 teaspoon of salt substitute (potassium chloride) 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda 1 teaspoon of table salt in one quart of water.

Read more: I have a few chickens with swollen eye with drainage coming - JustAnswer http://www.justanswer.com/bird-vet/6r727-few-chickens-swollen-eye-drainage-coming.html#ixzz27UWbu7Wr

Thank you for sending that info. I have read it and so far it doesn't seem that my chickens have that (yet) and hopefully won't. I appreciate any and all info that is given to me and thank you again.

This sounds exactly like what I am dealing with! I have three little Cochin Bantams that I got from a "breeder" on craigslist, and when I first saw one of the little gals (5 1/2 weeks old) with a swollen eye I thought someone pecked her. I isolated her and kept her warm and put ointment in her eye. She was very lethargic. Then another seemed to have an infected eye, so I brought him in as well, and now both of his eyes seem affected. Only one eye is affected on the other gal. Both are quite lethargic - sleeping most of the day. I put them on Sulfa and Vetericyn eye ointment. The eyes seem to get better only to get weepy and swollen again. Last night a third Cochin (we got 7 from him in all) had a red eye. Brought her inside as well. Same treatment. It's been 36 hours now from the first signs of the weepy eyes and not much has changed. From everything I read on Bronchitis it said the incubation time was 24-36 hours - so I would think she would be showing further signs of the respiratory disease by now...not just lethargy and the weepy red eye. No sneezing, sniffling, runny nose or coughing. No apparent mouth breathing.
I have an appointment at 12:30 to take one into the vet (wish I could afford to take all 3). I will let you know what the vet says, since it sounds like we have similar issues. I'm really, really hoping it is not respiratory... Otherwise I'm scared my whole flock has been exposed, since they were all in the same yard though they were in separate pens.
How are yours doing now? Any changes?

Jen

Hope your little ones are doing better...?
The vet prescribed Enrofloxacin and Mycostatin orally twice a day and Gentamicin eye drops twice a day. For the whole new flock that came together. Hasn't seemed to make a huge difference so far. Vet said it was just a sinus infection and didn't seem too worried about it, really. Not as worried as I am, that's for certain. She said to treat everybody and see how it goes. One of the little gals seems a bit perkier. The other is pretty off her feed - gave her an eyedropper full of sugar water to try and boost her up, but haven't had a lot of luck so far. Hoping the meds will kick in soon.
What's the update on your babies?

I truly hope that yours are doing better. I know I learned a valuable lesson for this. Be very careful and picky about what and who you get from, and make sure to keep them separate for 4-5 weeks. These 2 things are being added to my most important things to do. Please update me as to progress of your little ones and fingers and toes crossed for you also.

Back
Top Bottom