Having never had chickens before what breeds are recommended

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Carenm, Jan 3, 2010.

1. Carenm

Carenm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Midland, TX
    We are unsure what breed(s) to get. Right now we are wanting to start off with 4-5 chicks.

We have 2 kids ( 5 & 7) and live where it can be over 100 or freezing ( desert of west texas).

What are your recommendations for beginners?

2. DonnaBelle

DonnaBelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    McIntosh County, OK
    Go buy "Storey's book on raising chickens/poultry" and start reading.

Research is always a good idea, no matter what you're thinking of doing.

DonnaBelle

3. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    Well I have Buff Orpingtons and they are very kind and gentle birds. My daughter (2 years old) can actually pet our rooster and he just ignores here lol. Even though he is taller than she is. He's a gentle giant.

Sorry wanted to add a link and I accidently hit submit.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/breeds/breed-chart

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  4. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Do you want birds for meat, lawn ornaments, eggs, or show?
    Do you like traditional heritage breeds or exotics?
    Do you want standard, or bantam?
    Can you have roosters?
    What climate do you live in?
    How much room do you have?
    How much interaction do you plan to have with them?
    Do you want a feisty bird with energy, or a laid back personable one?
    What colors/patterns do you like?

People can recommend breeds all day long, but if YOU dont know what you want, none of us will either.

ETA: Green eggs, brown eggs, blue eggs, white eggs?

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I have 2 kids (10 and 6) and I started with Easter Egger (sold as Ameraucana by hatcheries), light brahma, RIR, Buff Orpington, Sicilian Buttercup, Barred Rock and a Red sex link.

I recommend the Easter Egger as my kids LOVE the green eggs she lays. (I want to get one that lays blue eggs next) My light brahma is a huge sweetheart and very gentle. Barred rocks and Orps are gentle and great layers.

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:I agree.....you'll get as many different opinions as there are breeds. Go to the Feathersite website and go thru and check out all the pictures.....see what strikes your fancy. [​IMG]

7. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Are you planning on having a roo?
    My production reds were some of the nicest birds I had. Also Cuckoo Marans are nice laid back breed(from hatchery).
    I've recently gotten Welsummers and they are really nice too. The only roo that HASN't attacked me is my Production Red roo but many RIR-type roos are not so nice. My Cuckoo Marans roo settled down after his first year and they Welsummers are just starting to come of age so a bit of a problem there.
    I think any of the above would do fine in your climate. Buff Orps may not like the heat(although I've never had any myself).
    Avoid black birds for heat tolerance.
    Good luck. Try not to be overwhelmed by how many breeds are out there. Check availability to help with your decision.

8. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

Umm, well DUH! Silkies of course [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm mostly teasing, though they are pretty irresistible and great with kids. It just depends on what you want. I have some fabulous layers to keep us in eggs (EE's, Buff Orphingtons, and Golden Comets) and entertained, and silkies for broodiness and general silly hilarity.

Because of your extreme temps, I would avoid cochins, I've heard that they are heat sensitive. Also if it gets really cold you may want to avoid birds that have large wattles and combs that can be susceptible to frostbite. Other than that, just look around and see what strikes your fancy as was previously suggested.

If you have kids, you may want to peek at the incubation section and make a project out of it. Hatching out eggs can be an amazing experience and one your kids would not soon forget.

9. SoCalChick

SoCalChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Valley Center, CA
    [​IMG] Orpingtons, Orpingtons, Orpingtons! !!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. organicfoltzfamilyfarm

organicfoltzfamilyfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2009
    Trafalgar, IN
    Quote:I agree! [​IMG] I love Orpingtons!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by