Having never had chickens before what breeds are recommended

Based on your answer above...

I think someone has already said it.... Orps. They are a standard size, 'traditional' type breed, who are rather personable. I'm sure all the Orp people will jump in now.

Last edited:
Buff Orpington's are great, but I like Barred Rock too. Also have had Black Sex Link, Black Australorp, and Auracana (sorry if I'm spelling those names wrong). The best egg layers for me in my area (Iowa) are the Orpington's and Barred Rock. They're easy going and friendly but it seems like almost every Buff that I get is broody, which is fine with me but can be a little intimidating if you don't want them to sit on their eggs and you're trying to take it away from her, lol. I'm going to try some Silver Laced, some Lakenvelder's and some Moran's this year, just for some variety. Just start out with a couple that catch your eye and go from there.

If you don't want to hatch any chicks via broody I would say that plymouth rocks are a good bet. Orps can be broody but Rocks were bred to not be as broody. Also, they are good in both hot and cold temps, lay alot of brown eggs, ad are pretty nice. They won't run away from you, unlike most ornamental breeds.

Orpingtons, Barred Partridge Rocks, Naked Necks are all on my list of friendly chickens that lay well enough to earn their pay. My tinted egg layers other than the NNs are a bit skittish. They do not enjoy being held but they will walk up and eat from your hand. I live in the same environment as you and all my chickens have done well through the winters and summers.

(raising hand in the air chanting......) OR PING TONS! OR PING TONS!

Come on.. say it with me!

Two bits .. four bits ... six bits ... a dollar ... All for Orpingtons ... stand up and hollar! Yeahhhhhhh! (big smile).

Mine are all so sweet and gentle... especially my rooster, Beef Jerky. xoxox

I love my beautiful Wyandottes- one Columbian and one Silver-laced. They do not lay well in the heat of summer, but they lay all winter here in Southern California. Both are affectionate and like their coop/run as much as they like to free range.

Delawares are a good dual purpose bird, and most of the people I know with Dels say they are VERY friendly - plus they are a little more rare and you would be helping promote the breed.

Someone listed some "requirements" to think about. If you want egg layers than think about what size eggs you want, how often you want them to lay, etc. Once you have an idea about this plan on spending MANY evenings reading various threads on this site. And also spend time loking at all the hatchery sites. This is what I did about a year ago. I spent a couple of months deciding what breeds I wanted. I got most of the breeds on my wish list plus some others I was not planning on... (free chick promotion at a feed store) It turns out that some of the others are the best birds in my flock.

Recommendations? - Without knowing all of your requirements it is hard to say for sure. My favorite by far is my RIR. This was an unplanned bird in my flock. I am getting several more this year. She is the friendliest bird in the flock. Also is a great egg layer. A close second in my GLW. She lays an x-large egg nearly every day and is almost as friendly as the RIR. I also like my EE's. Everyone loves the blue and green eggs. The production my White leghorn is amazing. She has only missed a few days since she started laying in late August. A lot of people here like Orps and BA. I have been very disappointed with these breeds in my flock. Neither is very friendly or has layed many eggs. Maybe I just got some with not very good breeding.

Back
Top Bottom