Having possum troubles

jprice2ndlt

Songster
10 Years
Apr 3, 2009
Hodges, S.C.
The other night i looked out my front door to find a possum on my front porch. I scared it away. The next night i took the dog and and noticed her going crazy. I took the flashlight and shined over to where she was and guess what she was playing with the possum. i picked her up and took her in and the possum got up and ran away. Well tonight i was cooking supper and i heard my roosters going crazy i ran out to see what was going on and i saw a possum in the woods well i ran it off and they were still going crazy so i looked to see a second possum hiding beside the coop. i finallly ran him off only to find him on the porch again. will a possum kill a chicken? Is there anyway to keep them away without shooting them? What can i do?

I HADE POSSUM TROBLES TO I SCARED IT OFF THE FIRST NIGHT.
smack.gif

AND I AN 9 YEARS OLD .

Well, many folks insist that possums can and will kill chickens. That doesn't mean all of them do. I think possums are butt ugly critters, but I don't mind them pilfering a little cat food or hanging around UNLESS I find evidence of one attempting to break into my run/coop. Then I'd have to assume the worst. You can buy a product called Critter Ridder that supposely deters critters such as possums that you could sprinkle around the perimeter of your coop.... I'm not sure how you'd get rid of one other than that or shooting it if you're set on getting rid of it. It's generally not a good idea to trap and relocate.

DO. NOT. RELOCATE. All you do is to dump your problem animals off on someone else's doorstep. If you don't have the intestinal fortitude to humanely dispose of the predators that kill your birds, you should not have birds. Be responsible and either learn to do the deed yourself, or find someone who will.

Quote:
I guess I should have been more specific. When I say relocate, I mean that I have "relocated" six opossums, who were then killed humanely. Some people on here have problems with killing animals who are just doing what their instincts tell them to do, and apparently other people have problems with you relocating opossums to the woods, which apparently have too many opossums already. So, just to clear it up, I trapped 6 opossums, relocated them, and killed them where I released them. Anyway, I haven't lost any chickens since. Does that clear it up for you, jhm47?

Last edited:
I have had more chickens killed by possoms than all other critters combined they are one of the two Animals I shoot on sight coyotes being the other.
somad.gif
somad.gif
I was on the way to feed and gather eggs tonight . and saw a possom walking along the game trail in pasture behind my house I don't own it, but do look after it for the owner. lets just say he is in possom heaven now they are easy to trap since they are not very bright
Roy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom