Having some trouble at night with roosting

Cato0608

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2020
South Africa
Hi. I have a 5 week old Lavender Oprington chick whose mother decided it's time to roost with the rest of the flock way up there. Last night when I went to close the coop I found him alone on the ground screaming for his mom who was sound asleep. I tried putting him on the bar, but when I went to check on him later he was on the ground again so I took him in for the night. So tonight, just before everyone went to roost, I kept an eye on him and the exact same happened. However, this time he crawled under my Buff Oprington hen with 3 five day old chicks. He approached her head-on and she didn't seem to mind him. Can I leave him with her for the night? and for future nights to come? Until he is ready to roost? I have no idea why he is not yet able to roost with his mom.

Thank you, will do. I was shocked that she didn't peck at him as she is the most aggressive hen in the flock. I'll just keep an eye on him then.

I'll try to get a shot of him. You can barely even see him. He was so happy to find a warm place that he completely submerged in her feathers.

I've had a broody hen take 2-week-old chicks to the roost. They flew up in two stages, 2 to 3 feet in each stage. I'd think that 5-week-old chick could fly up there if it wanted to.

I've had broody hens wean chicks as young as three weeks old, some wait more than two months. How does she treat that chick during the day? Is she taking care of it or leaving it in its own? I've had hens take care of their chicks during the day but not at night. I've had the reverse, protecting them on the roost but not during the day. Most go cold turkey when they wean them. Mine are not real consistent in how or when they wean their chicks. To me it sounds like she is weaning or has weaned him and left him on his own to make his way.

Some hens tightly bond with their own chicks and won't allow any others around. Some broody hens will mother any chick that will let her. Be interesting to hear what goes on during the day.

To me, chicken TV is better than anything on Cable, Satellite, or Broadcast. You never know what will happen. There is more drama and mystery, and it's real. Often fascinating too.

Chicken drama has been non-stop, but I like it. It is the only thing keeping me sane during this lockdown.

These past few days she hasn't really been over motherly like in the beginning. The chick still walks with her and nuzzles under her during the day, but she isn't calling him when she finds food and he travels a few feet behind her. Also, she isn't as protective when I take the chick (a few days ago she would've tried to wreck my face).

I get what you mean now, my Plymouth hen is still breaking food and calling her 9 week old chicks when she finds food.

She probably just decided it is time to wean her baby. I just feel bad for the little guy.

Back
Top Bottom