Having trouble coping with losses

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by frankenchick, Jan 9, 2009.

1. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    Miss Jane Marple was the 3rd chicken I've lost since Sept. -- the first of the older girls. I cried more initially over the pullets the dog next door killed, but this one is getting me down a lot more. [​IMG] It's like the thing I've counted on for encouragement (my funny girls) is being taken away. No, I'm not really obsessed with them; they just have given me joy over the last couple weeks after the loss of my high-school BFF.

You all are the only folks who'll understand.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  2. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    Sorry for your chicken losses. Of course, we know time makes it easier. Losing a pet is hard.

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

I can tell you it doesn't get easier...
    I'm down to one bird and when she goes, I'll be a mess.

Take your time to grieve for your girls...make a memorial box with feathers of theirs so that you can remember them in better times.

Hugs, Frankenchick.

4. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Quote:I had a big White Leghorn x Barred Rock roo who lived for seven or eight years before he passed away. I got him when I was in elementary school, and I was soooo attached to him. He was incredibly friendly. When he died, I was just starting college. I found one of his big white sickle feathers in the coop, and I washed it up and put it in my Bible. It may sound sort of funny to some people, but it made me feel a lot better just to have something as a reminder of my beloved pet. Maybe doing something like what SpottedCrow suggested will help you.

Hang in there... [​IMG]

5. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Oh, I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend and your chicken.

You feel how you feel. It's not silly or wrong, or even right. It's just how you feel.

Beaming love your way.

6. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

((hugs)) I sure hope things get better for you, no easy answers anywhere though. just more ((hugs)) [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by