Haw do you display your chickens at fairs?

kowell275

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 10, 2011
stanwood
Hi I am thinking of showing my chickens next year at fairs I wont to see what other people do at the fairs to show off there chickens. Please add photos and say if you place thanks.

At our county fair there is a poultry tent. The cages are provided by the 4-H poultry club. This is includes water cups, feed cups and bedding. During the fair it is the 4-H kids that show off their birds. There is 1 day of an "Open show" where others can enter their birds providing they have the proper paper work. ie: Pullorum test and entry fee.
100_1314.jpg

100_1315.jpg

100_1335.jpg

100_1334.jpg

100_1331.jpg

Last edited:
when we do the fair, cages are already set up so I put the girls in a dog crate with their clean feathers ask them not to poop until we get there ,, and then take them out and pout them into their new home, Also make a small sign with the chickens name on it.. take their favorite treat to give them when they get in their new cage..

Quote:
My kids show their birds. That is actually someone else's rooster, but he is nice isn't he. Luckily the poultry show was held in May so my boys did get lots of awards. Too many to list, but my 14 year old DS got BEST OF SHOW for his Royal Purple guinea
smile.png
we had 4 guineas, 2 geese, 4 ducks and I think 11 chickens entered. We have so many more but that is what they chose to show.

I've been curious as well, specifically; Do you wash them, comb or brush them, paint their nails, shine their beaks? I've seen some very pretty birds over the years at fairs, it's apparent that a few owners go the extra mile to really doll them up.

We don't brush or paint nails. We do however make sure they are clean. no poop or dirt especially on legs and under nails. We do shine their legs and combs and waddles with vaseline for show. Yes I have even washed a guinea and then blow dried her
hide.gif
Typically though it is difficulty to bathe and then keep birds clean prior to a show. Especially if you have ducks/geese. THey are just poop machines.

We get blue ribbon shampoo and rx remedy, from murray mcmurray they have a kit for under $25 and I bathe mine and then use the rx for the legs and combs and all I dont paint the nails with anything for the show but I give fish oil with omega 3,6,and 9 in the feed for 2 to 4 weeks before a show about 1/4 cup per 5 gallons, or you can use olive oil instead.

Back
Top Bottom