hawk 1 1/2 chickens 1

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by panner123, Nov 8, 2008.

1. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Awhile ago I heard the roos sound the alarm and then I heard the attack. This happened to be the farest run from the barn. Bu the time I got there, one roo was dead. But three other roos were holding their own. With two roos on the hawk's back, the thrid attacked the head. It didn't take long at all for the hawk's eyes to go. That is when I stepped in to put an end to the fight and the hawk. It was strange to see these three working together, for they can't be put in a run next to each other. Yet they get along with all the other roos.

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

WOW!

3. Zookeeper9000

Zookeeper9000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Gladstone MI
    Panner sorry ya lost a roo but good to hear they will work together.

4. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    Sorry about the roo you lost but good for the other three. Give them a nice treat please.

5. Bassleg

Bassleg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2008
    Lebanon Oregon
    Thats cool your roo's worked together and fixed the problem. [​IMG]

6. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

GREAT WORK ROO"S !!!!!!!!!!!!
    sorry for the loss of 1 of them, but at least he died doing his job, and put others lives before his own !!!!
    THAT is why i say having roo's with attitude is worth thousands of $!!!

7. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    Sorry for your chickens but also sorry for the hawk. in my humble opinion the hawk is worth much more than any chicken

8. Hawks have taken three of my hens. Two leghorns that just started laying and an irreplacable keys hen. I have hatched and raised 4 lavender and 4 purple Guinea fowl. I bought two adult white guinea and they are all running the property. I have seen them alert and fly and head for any hawk that has gotten too close. A pack of 10 of them is a sight to see flying, alerting and heading for the predator. I have not seen a hawk near the ground since.

They roost with the chickens and are the first to leave the barn in the morning. They are the best watch fowl i have ever had. Now i do not mind the constant calls and the alerts are just remarkable.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Funny this just happened. I was just asking my DH if he thought my two roosters, Dutch and Mace, would work together against a predator. Awesome story!

10. allaboutdemchicks

allaboutdemchicks Chapel Farms

Sep 13, 2008
    Jemison, AL
    Sooo sorry for the loss of your rooster.....but wow..the others really know how to handle a hawk! Tell them to keep up the good work. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by