Hawk attack and roosters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buzzards' stomachs are designed to break down dead and decaying animals. Have you ever smelled a dead buzzard whose intestines have been busted open? It is one of the worst things you will ever smell. It is rare for a buzzard to eat a live animal, much less attack one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Buzzards' stomachs are designed to break down dead and decaying animals. Have you ever smelled a dead buzzard whose intestines have been busted open? It is one of the worst things you will ever smell. It is rare for a buzzard to eat a live animal, much less attack one.
well the last one I shot wasn't too stinky and the 12g rekt its intestines. Although it was a 50+ft shot. I mean it's hard to judge flying targets. But I definitely want the hawks to leave. Maybe if there are less buzzards to steal what is possibly hawk food, the hawks will be able to just eat the small nice and squirrels instead of feasting on a juicy chick.

They shouldn't. They eat bodies already dead.

I always thought vultures ate only carrion. That is true for turkey vultures. However I found out the hard way that black vultures will at times attack live prey. They should not be found this far north but a month ago two of them went after my chickens, killing one and injuring a second. The second one died 10 days later from his injuries. Yes, I am positive they were responsible for the attack (so were some ravens after them too).

Check it out.

https://www.fws.gov/le/USStatutes/MBTA.pdf

And the following with text of document pasted below: http://www.gpnc.org/raptors1.htm

RAPTORS AND THE LAW

by John Brooks
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

The Protection of Raptors
The federal protection of migratory birds has a long history in the United States dating back to 1916 when a treaty was signed with Great Britain, on behalf of Canada, for the protection of most migratory birds. This treaty resulted in the enactment of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) in 1918, which is the basic law in effect today. Although raptors such as hawks and owls were not protected by the original MBTA, they were later included as an amendment in 1972. The Bald Eagle has been protected since the enactment of the Eagle Act in 1940 and the Golden Eagle, also under the Eagle Act, since 1962. State laws and regulations today likewise protect all migratory birds.

The precise language in the MBTA states:
“Unless and except as permitted by regulations made as hereinafter provided, it shall be unlawful at any time, by any means or in any manner, to pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, attempt to take, capture, or kill, possess, offer for sale, sell, offer to barter, barter, offer to purchase, purchase, deliver for shipment, ship, export, import, cause to be shipped, exported, or imported, deliver for transportation, transport or cause to be transported, carry or cause to be carried, or receive for shipment, transportation, carriage, or export, any migratory bird, any part, nest, or egg of any such bird, or any product, whether or not manufactured, which consists, or is composed in whole or in part, of any such bird or any part, nest or egg.”

As you can see from this legal language, migratory birds are highly regulated. Some migratory birds, like waterfowl can be legally hunted and possessed. However, there is no such provision for raptors. Eagles, ospreys, hawks, falcons, kites, owls, vultures and all other native North American birds of prey are strictly protected, to include a prohibition against the taking or possession of their parts such as feathers or talons. The only exceptions generally allowed for individuals to these prohibitions require permits from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Educational and scientific institutions are exempted from most permit requirements.

Penalties for violations of the MBTA can reach $15,000 and six months imprisonment for common violations. The sale or barter of migratory birds is a felony with penalties up to $500,000 and two years imprisonment. Some raptors are also protected under the Endangered Species Act, and both the Bald and Golden Eagles are also protected under the Eagle Act.

Questions concerning the protection of raptors should be directed to a local state Conservation Officer or the nearest office of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Raptor's Roost
Text: Bob Gress and Vanessa Avara
Web Design: Jim Mason

These are not vultures. They are buzzards. And as you guys say, they are not birds of prey. You guys classify them as scavengers. And I have read those documents before

In the USA most people use the two words interchangeably. I often times refer to a turkey vulture as a buzzard. Sometimes I call it a vulture. I am not going to post any laws here. If anyone wants to look up their local or federal laws for killing a bird of prey or a buzzard/vulture they are free to use the googley-machine as they please. Which i would always recommend before dealing with ANY type of predator In any any location. Different laws apply by location for trapping or killing raccoons, opossum, mink, weasels, birds, etc...

Last edited:
Check it out.

https://www.fws.gov/le/USStatutes/MBTA.pdf

And the following with text of document pasted below: http://www.gpnc.org/raptors1.htm

RAPTORS AND THE LAW

by John Brooks
U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service

The Protection of Raptors
The federal protection of migratory birds has a long history in the United States dating back to 1916 when a treaty was signed with Great Britain, on behalf of Canada, for the protection of most migratory birds. This treaty resulted in the enactment of the Migratory Bird Treaty Act (MBTA) in 1918, which is the basic law in effect today. Although raptors such as hawks and owls were not protected by the original MBTA, they were later included as an amendment in 1972. The Bald Eagle has been protected since the enactment of the Eagle Act in 1940 and the Golden Eagle, also under the Eagle Act, since 1962. State laws and regulations today likewise protect all migratory birds.

The precise language in the MBTA states:
“Unless and except as permitted by regulations made as hereinafter provided, it shall be unlawful at any time, by any means or in any manner, to pursue, hunt, take, capture, kill, attempt to take, capture, or kill, possess, offer for sale, sell, offer to barter, barter, offer to purchase, purchase, deliver for shipment, ship, export, import, cause to be shipped, exported, or imported, deliver for transportation, transport or cause to be transported, carry or cause to be carried, or receive for shipment, transportation, carriage, or export, any migratory bird, any part, nest, or egg of any such bird, or any product, whether or not manufactured, which consists, or is composed in whole or in part, of any such bird or any part, nest or egg.”

As you can see from this legal language, migratory birds are highly regulated. Some migratory birds, like waterfowl can be legally hunted and possessed. However, there is no such provision for raptors. Eagles, ospreys, hawks, falcons, kites, owls, vultures and all other native North American birds of prey are strictly protected, to include a prohibition against the taking or possession of their parts such as feathers or talons. The only exceptions generally allowed for individuals to these prohibitions require permits from the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service. Educational and scientific institutions are exempted from most permit requirements.

Penalties for violations of the MBTA can reach $15,000 and six months imprisonment for common violations. The sale or barter of migratory birds is a felony with penalties up to $500,000 and two years imprisonment. Some raptors are also protected under the Endangered Species Act, and both the Bald and Golden Eagles are also protected under the Eagle Act.

Questions concerning the protection of raptors should be directed to a local state Conservation Officer or the nearest office of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.

Raptor's Roost
Text: Bob Gress and Vanessa Avara
Web Design: Jim Mason

Your heart is in the right place... This is a citing from an unofficial source that cited an official source about migratory bird regulations and included in their own text one line about birds of prey. It is best for everyone to check his or her own local laws before dealing with any pests or predators.

Your heart is in the right place... This is a citing from an unofficial source that cited an official source about migratory bird regulations and included in their own text one line about birds of prey. It is best for everyone to check his or her own local laws before dealing with any pests or predators.

The federal laws take precedence unless state / local laws more restrictive without conflicting with federal law. The federal law regarding this should be common knowledge as taught starting in grade school.

Big Bounce has been pushing the boundaries for a while now, at least in terms of what is stated in postings. Gonna get pinched.

The federal laws take precedence unless state / local laws more restrictive without conflicting with federal law. The federal law regarding this should be common knowledge as taught starting in grade school.

When I say local laws I wasn't only meaning city/ county ordinances. We have members from other countries. Local to your own situation from your country's laws on down to the most local applicable level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom