Hawk attack and roosters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big B... I wouldn't bother a bird that is not bothering you. Another will take it's place and it might not be as disinterested. I have never had a problem (to my knowledge) with a red tail, and I would hesitate. To look at them, they are certainly capable of killing a chicken and I am sure they do, but I would hesitate. For me, it has always been the Cooper hawks. Now, the cooper hawks,(to me) are vermin. They are thick as starlings around here. They reduce the wild bird population relentlessly. By the end of the winter, they are gaunt, spooky looking serial killers. I understand all the blather from some individuals as to their beauty and necessity. I believe you can have too much of a good thing and they need thinning out like any other. I guess when Owls were more numerous, the owls would take them as they perched in the dark. (We need more owls!) But round here, they seem to operate with impunity. When I had pigeons, (which I gave up because letting them out was like ringing a dinner bell for the coopers) they would reliably swoop in within 15 minutes of me letting the birds out. Often times much sooner. They are amazing flyers. I have seen them stop and plunge vertically through tree branches to grab a pigeon. It is legal to shoot some raptors if attacking your livestock. I probably wouldn't harm a red tail even if it did. They do have to eat. And they usually eat squirrels and rabbits.

The bird that killed my hen was half the size of her victim. I could not see too well on my video as the action was far out from the house where the cameras are mounted, I can say the thing fluttered up and down and reminded me of a bat. When it returned I think it saw me sitting on my porch. It seemed like it was looking right at me from the tree. It is aware of me generally I know. My neighbor said he witnessed it swooping through and clapped his hands to make it fly off the roof. This thing had been perfecting it's technique and it did. If nothing else I was going to make sure it did not get a meal out of it. But it seemed to know I was there from the way it approached. It was very hungry which I was counting on. I think it misjudged the distance of my effect. They are smart. Very smart. (some are not that smart... usually the young ones). It approached the carcass right before dark and I imagine it would have ate for a bit and was apparently not averse to flying in the dark. They have large orange eyes. Something else I did not know. It did not attack stealthily. It terrorized the flock until it separated a cornered hen. I think in a more open area it would have had a harder time than it did up against my shop wall. I moved the carcass about 10 feet for better visibility and that did not deter it.

The way it operated (this bird) I think it could probably kill any chicken. A chicken is defenseless and panicked. The hawk latches onto it, pinning it against the wall and knifing it with it's talons and bleeding it. Tearing into it while it is still alive. Natrure is cruel. But I am part of nature too. And I have no qualms about playing my part in nature. What I saw on the tape made me rethink how they attack chickens. (I am well versed in how they attack pigeons).

Well what do you do to keep hawks at bay? Non lethal means have not worked for me.
I have huge issues with predators from the ground and the skies. And I have found over the years that shooting anything only opens the door for another to move in. Predators are endless and just like the pecking order of your chicken flock, there is ALWAYS one waiting to take the place of the one you shot. So shooting isn't going to fix anything. Same with relocation of predators. Again.... there will always be another lurking to take over your territory especially if dinner is being served up daily via free ranging birds.

When you free range, you have to be willing to lose a few to predators. Simple as that. There are natural predators to your area and they are designed for survival. They don't kill for sport but rather for survival.They are doing what they were created to do. So if you let your birds roam without supervision, they are going to be open to disappearing.

I have HUGE problems over here living in the wilderness. We have it ALL out here. If I stood by with my rifle and shot every predator from the sky or ground that came lurking, I would spend every day for the rest of my life killing them all. A never ending stream of them.

So I have no other choice but to come up with ways of protecting them instead of removing the predators. If you live in areas with hawks abound, you need to add LOTS of hidy places for your birds to dive for cover or hide. Lots of trees. bushes and such add wonderful cover. If you don't have natural hidy places you can make lean to's, dog houses, small teepee type areas, use your imagination to create places of protection. Benches, brush piles, just about anything for places to dive for cover.

Some people use good guard dogs or Llama's. Wonderful creatures to prevent aerial and ground attacks. Electric fences do wonders for ground assaults. If you live in a territory with crows or ravens, feed these birds!!! My Ravens run off EVERY hawk that comes into this territory and do not allow them to soar, sit or get anywhere near my property. Corvid's HATE hawks.

I only let my birds outside when I am outside and watching or close by. I have never had any attacks while I am milling around the yard, not to say a focused hawk won't attack while you are standing there, but less likely. And when I can't watch them, I have built my birds a very large run to spend their time in. They are not cramped in and have huge spaces to spend their day if they can't go outside. I put in toys, levels, mirrors, hanging veggies, flakes of hay, anything to keep them entertained while they are stuck inside.

So get creative. Killing hawks and other predators is not a solution here. If the hawk in your territory was the only one in your county, it might make sense to kill it (if it were legal to do so). But there are hundreds if not thousands not too far from you. On top of this, it is illegal in every state in the US to kill hawks. They are a protected species and under penalty of law, you are not allowed to kill them. Your flock will fair much better if you come up with ways of protecting them from the hawks, not removing the hawks.
smile.png

Last edited:
I have huge issues with predators from the ground and the skies. And I have found over the years that shooting anything only opens the door for another to move in. Predators are endless and just like the pecking order of your chicken flock, there is ALWAYS one waiting to take the place of the one you shot. So shooting isn't going to fix anything. Same with relocation of predators. Again.... there will always be another lurking to take over your territory especially if dinner is being served up daily via free ranging birds.

When you free range, you have to be willing to lose a few to predators. Simple as that. There are natural predators to your area and they are designed for survival. They don't kill for sport but rather for survival.They are doing what they were created to do. So if you let your birds roam without supervision, they are going to be open to disappearing. 

I have HUGE problems over here living in the wilderness. We have it ALL out here. If I stood by with my rifle and shot every predator from the sky or ground that came lurking, I would spend every day for the rest of my life killing them all. A never ending stream of them.

So I have no other choice but to come up with ways of protecting them instead of removing the predators. If you live in areas with hawks abound, you need to add LOTS of hidy places for your birds to dive for cover or hide. Lots of trees. bushes and such add wonderful cover. If you don't have natural hidy places you can make lean to's, dog houses, small teepee type areas, use your imagination to create places of protection. Benches, brush piles, just about anything for places to dive for cover. 

Some people use good guard dogs or Llama's. Wonderful creatures to prevent aerial and ground attacks. Electric fences do wonders for ground assaults. If you live in a territory with crows or ravens, feed these birds!!! My Ravens run off EVERY hawk that comes into this territory and do not allow them to soar, sit or get anywhere near my property. Corvid's HATE hawks. 

I only let my birds outside when I am outside and watching or close by. I have never had any attacks while I am milling around the yard, not to say a focused hawk won't attack while you are standing there, but less likely. And when I can't watch them, I have built my birds a very large run to spend their time in. They are not cramped in and have huge spaces to spend their day if they can't go outside. I put in toys, levels, mirrors, hanging veggies, flakes of hay, anything to keep them entertained while they are stuck inside.

So get creative. Killing hawks and other predators is not a solution here. If the hawk in your territory was the only one in your county, it might make sense to kill it (if it were legal to do so). But there are hundreds if not thousands not too far from you. On top of this, it is illegal in every state in the US to kill hawks. They are a protected species and under penalty of law, you are not allowed to kill them. Your flock will fair much better if you come up with ways of protecting them from the hawks, not removing the hawks. :)  

Truth. Let's move away from the topic of shooting or killing any hawk that bothers us. As suggested above our chickens will be much better off in the long run if we do more to provide them places to escape or build a more secure run.

Another option....I have a 30x60 foot fenced in old garden area that I updated to keep my birds safe from hawks. I put up 3 tall poles and laid poultry netting over the top and attached to the fencing, similar to a circus tent style thing. Hawks never once dove into it or caused my birds any trouble. Kept out other annoying critters too like coyotes, skunks and coons.

Another option....I have a 30x60 foot fenced in old garden area that I updated to keep my birds safe from hawks. I put up 3 tall poles and laid poultry netting over the top and attached to the fencing, similar to a circus tent style thing. Hawks never once dove into it or caused my birds any trouble. Kept out other annoying critters too like coyotes, skunks and coons. 

We want our chickens to free range and we have lots of cover. So far we have lost just one young hen to hawks. We have ample cover and hopefully the chickens will ALWAYS use it. Just a few days ago I saw my smallest adult hen running fast from the bottom of the hill all the way up to under our deck. Came outside to see a hawk flying very low. She had plenty of other options of cover, and running all the way to the house through the open was not smart.

Also, I came out to see the big red tail hawk on ground very close to where my chicks use cover (tall weeds and shrubs) and the hawk was already running to fly away as it saw me before I saw it. That is also the day I shot my first bird down (buzzard). Later on my dog was eating in the field. I came to inspect and she had a whole chicken leg in her mouth. I took it and told her to show me where she got it from. She went a little down from the cover spot. But still in great cover. And there was a circle of feathers along with the half eaten remains of Harlee the Dominique.
1f621.png
. We buried her. So we have lost 2 chicks in total. Both seemed to be from hawks. (the remains were pretty fresh). Very sad, i would not have been very upset if it had been one of the little cockerels which we have much too many of.

And a story for two crows. This morning two crows were flying about in my yard. They ended up in a tree. They seemed to be eating something. Upon further investigation, they had caught a mouse eating chicken food leftover from last night and were eating that mouse. I wish we had more crows. I truly hope no vultures attack chickens, but I am worried. I like to think of vultures/buzzards as turkens that are very humble and eat the roadkill and spare the living animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom