hawk attack but still alive so far

TinyBirds

Songster
10 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Texas
The hawk attacked my favorite silkie (gorgeous black hen from Destiny/Amy who won BV in two shows) by slamming down on the net and grabbing the silkie through the net (the only semi-low spot. 4 ft high. for the net in the whole run) and when I arrived she appeared dead (the hawk let go right when I got there). I held her and she made some gasps for air with her tongue sticking out, limp in my arms. I think the hawk held onto her for at least a few minutes because the chickens were all screaming about the hawk so long before I got there. I finally went over just to see what was going on (wish I had gone sooner). At this point she is back to standing and even drank a little. She has a little blood near the ear on her head, so I assume might have brain damage and internal bleeding. Please pray for her. I figure if she survives the night she might recover.

Last edited:
I don't have any advice. But I am so sorry. I hope and pray she pulls through. I am sending you
hugs.gif
and prayers are being said.
hugs.gif

Thank you so much. I knew I could count on fellow chicken-lover for support
hugs.gif
I appreciate it very much!

Is she still doing ok. I have been thinking of different posts I have seen on here. If I am wrong someone please chime in. . She needs to be isolated and kept calm. Try to get her to drink some water. If using vitamins. Poly-Vi-Sol with no iron. Pedialite for electroylites. Try feeding her some scrambled eggs. Have you checked her all over for any wounds? Do you know how long the hawk had her? Maybe and hopefully she is just in shock. Plain yogurt works really well. I pray someone with more experience chimes in.

I hope this story has a happy ending. I can't get my ladies free-range anymore unless I'm out there with them because of the hawk that is determined to get them.

Mine are safe in their pen - it has a cyclone-fence top with plastic roofing over it so no one is getting through that, but the other day we heard the crows making a huge racket and found what appeared to be a whole bird's worth of bloody crow feathers in the chicken yard. I think an unwary crow had come down into the chicken yard to poke around and the hawk, long frustrated at not getting my chickens, made a dive for one and got it. I didn't know hawks went after crows, but something clearly went after that one.

Hope your Silkie pulls through!

hit.gif
I am so sorry for your fuzzy girl....I love all birds but I am beginning to HATE birds of prey more & more! Sending prayers she makes it through the night & has a full recovery!
fl.gif
hugs.gif

Thanks so much for the support everyone! She is doing okay!! I'm so happy! I'm sure it was all the prayers that helped save her! Usually the hawks kill them on the first grab of those sharp claws, so I was trying not to get my hopes up. Last week our favorite rooster was killed by the hawk within sight of my daughter. He killed it and then flew off without eating its head since my daughter scared it away. His fatal wound looked no worse than the silkie's wound. Maybe with all the fluff on her head he didn't get the death grip quite right (plus it was through the net after depressing the net 4 ft by raw force from above). I've seen the hawk dive bomb the net before, but this was the first near-success. I fixed the net right away so it doesn't have that low spot any more. I can walk under most of the net but its hard to get it perfect since it's 50'x50' size.

Back
Top Bottom