Hawk Attack In Water??

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by WMDAVIS99, May 4, 2009.

1. WMDAVIS99

WMDAVIS99 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Sinking Spring PA
    Been reading a lot on this board. I was just wondering if anyone knows if a Hawk will attack a bird in the water? I am planning on a day coop that will border my 1/2 acre pond. I would like the Ducks to swim freely, but return to their covered pen when they feel threatened. Obviously I cannot cover the pond. Will this work to protect from Hawks?

2. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    It wouldn't suprise me if they would take a bird from the water. Eagles and Ospreys do so you would think a hawk would too.

3. Jeox

Jeox Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    I'm not sure if a hawk would be able to. Hawks don't have the oily feathers eagles do, and could end up drowning.

4. amazondoc

amazondoc Cracked Egghead

Mar 31, 2008
    Lebanon, TN
    Only if you have ospreys or bald eagles. OTOH, out in the open water you do have to worry about snapping turtles!

5. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    Owls will grab them off the water, given the chance.

6. WMDAVIS99

Apr 28, 2009
    Sinking Spring PA
    Turtles are not a problem. I drained the pond last fall, and as of today I only have frogs and 3 wild Mallards. The Ducks will not be on the pond in the evening so I think Owls are not a problem.

7. Chicks_N_Horses

Chicks_N_Horses Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2009
    South Alabama
    Hawks will fly down into water that is really shallow and get fish. Dead or just some bream swimming in the grass....They won't dive down into the river to catch a bass though. There are other raptors that will but not the hawk. *I am a wildlife rehabilitator.

A duck swimming on the top of the water... Yes, a hawk can swoosh down and grab him. Chickens and ducks have an instinct that tells them to run when a predator is near..such as a hawk. I really feel like you will be safe and not have any trouble out of this but it is possible. I think you will be OK though [​IMG] I would let them swim freely and do something if you did happend to start having a problem.

8. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

Unless the pond has a very tight fence all the way around it, turtles will still find their way to your pond. They migrate from pond to pond. A snapping turtle is deadly to ducks and ducklings. They pull them under the water to drown them. After the ducks are drowned . . . well, just use your imagination . . .

9. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Northern Harriers also known as Marsh Hawks do it all the time. Take ducks that is. Do not konw it their Range is in your area though.

10. WMDAVIS99

Apr 28, 2009
    Sinking Spring PA
    Quote:They can be during the summer breeding season.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by