Hawk Attack In Water??

WMDAVIS99

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
Sinking Spring PA
Been reading a lot on this board. I was just wondering if anyone knows if a Hawk will attack a bird in the water? I am planning on a day coop that will border my 1/2 acre pond. I would like the Ducks to swim freely, but return to their covered pen when they feel threatened. Obviously I cannot cover the pond. Will this work to protect from Hawks?

Quote:
Do they do it on open water, or just at the marsh edges? Hawks do often seem to get blamed for predating on game birds, even when they're innocent....I'd love to learn more about this, if you have any specific info.

Here's one good description of Harrier hunting techniques:

http://www.wingmasters.net/nharrier.htm

My ponds are maybe 1/2 acre in size. I have seen them take a wild mallard hen off the middle of the pond. (Hen must have been preoccupied or just dumb). Do not know if you classify that as open water or shore line.

I'm not sure if a hawk would be able to. Hawks don't have the oily feathers eagles do, and could end up drowning.

Turtles are not a problem. I drained the pond last fall, and as of today I only have frogs and 3 wild Mallards. The Ducks will not be on the pond in the evening so I think Owls are not a problem.

Hawks will fly down into water that is really shallow and get fish. Dead or just some bream swimming in the grass....They won't dive down into the river to catch a bass though. There are other raptors that will but not the hawk. *I am a wildlife rehabilitator.

A duck swimming on the top of the water... Yes, a hawk can swoosh down and grab him. Chickens and ducks have an instinct that tells them to run when a predator is near..such as a hawk. I really feel like you will be safe and not have any trouble out of this but it is possible. I think you will be OK though
wink.png
I would let them swim freely and do something if you did happend to start having a problem.

Unless the pond has a very tight fence all the way around it, turtles will still find their way to your pond. They migrate from pond to pond. A snapping turtle is deadly to ducks and ducklings. They pull them under the water to drown them. After the ducks are drowned . . . well, just use your imagination . . .

Back
Top Bottom