Hawk Attack In Water??

WMDAVIS99

In the Brooder
10 Years
Apr 28, 2009
Sinking Spring PA
Been reading a lot on this board. I was just wondering if anyone knows if a Hawk will attack a bird in the water? I am planning on a day coop that will border my 1/2 acre pond. I would like the Ducks to swim freely, but return to their covered pen when they feel threatened. Obviously I cannot cover the pond. Will this work to protect from Hawks?

I'm not sure if a hawk would be able to. Hawks don't have the oily feathers eagles do, and could end up drowning.

Turtles are not a problem. I drained the pond last fall, and as of today I only have frogs and 3 wild Mallards. The Ducks will not be on the pond in the evening so I think Owls are not a problem.

Hawks will fly down into water that is really shallow and get fish. Dead or just some bream swimming in the grass....They won't dive down into the river to catch a bass though. There are other raptors that will but not the hawk. *I am a wildlife rehabilitator.

A duck swimming on the top of the water... Yes, a hawk can swoosh down and grab him. Chickens and ducks have an instinct that tells them to run when a predator is near..such as a hawk. I really feel like you will be safe and not have any trouble out of this but it is possible. I think you will be OK though
wink.png
I would let them swim freely and do something if you did happend to start having a problem.

Unless the pond has a very tight fence all the way around it, turtles will still find their way to your pond. They migrate from pond to pond. A snapping turtle is deadly to ducks and ducklings. They pull them under the water to drown them. After the ducks are drowned . . . well, just use your imagination . . .

Back
Top Bottom