Hawk Attack & Net Testing

Touche

In the Brooder
Nov 10, 2022
I was able to get some video of a hawk attack yesterday. The video shows 1 attempt, but it tried 8 different times at various points of the net, and it held up great.

This spec of netting has a lot of different price points on Amazon.

The specs:
Knotted 2” mesh, black color
Tensile Strength: 85/245 LBS per Mesh.
Temperature Range: -10 F to + 150 F. Raw Material: Polyethylene.
UV Inhibited – UV protection built into the netting not just surface treatment Average longevity is 7-10 Years in high UV areas.

I have no affiliation with this product, and it appears to be more expensive now than others with similar specs, but here is the link if anyone is interested.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X1CBBL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Sweet. I almost bought some of that exact mesh a while back, for enclosing over the top of our 2nd run after predators were getting over the top. Ended up using metal chicken wire instead, but glad to know this stuff seems to work out for you.

Chicken wire is the foolproof way.

I thought I'd share my experience as I saw some reviews and pictures but couldn't find any stress tests on the knotted mesh. I thought this might help someone if they were looking for an intermedium solution between no roof and a wire mesh roof.

I was able to get some video of a hawk attack yesterday. The video shows 1 attempt, but it tried 8 different times at various points of the net, and it held up great.

This spec of netting has a lot of different price points on Amazon.

The specs:
Knotted 2” mesh, black color
Tensile Strength: 85/245 LBS per Mesh.
Temperature Range: -10 F to + 150 F. Raw Material: Polyethylene.
UV Inhibited – UV protection built into the netting not just surface treatment Average longevity is 7-10 Years in high UV areas.

I have no affiliation with this product, and it appears to be more expensive now than others with similar specs, but here is the link if anyone is interested.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06X1CBBL4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

Thanks for sharing the info and the link. I just took your advice and ordered one.

Sadly, it is too late to save my friendly little red hen who was killed today by what I can only assume was a hawk.

We had put up a pee predator net two years ago after the first hawk attack we had. It has served us well all this time but our luck just ran out. Tonight, an exceptionally cold night, I came home and found my girl missing from the coop at bedtime. I went out in the yard and quickly found a 3-4 foot hole in our netting and my hen dead on the ground a few feet away.

Hoping this net will protect the rest of our flock.

Sometimes hanging old disks from trees can help “confuse” the attacking bird?
Thanks - I've got some shiny tape designed for this purpose. Won't hurt to hang some more of it and I'll do so tomorrow. My theory on what went wrong today is that it was just so cold here (in the low teens during the day and going into the low single digits tonight) that the hawk got desperate and took a chance at busting through the net out of desperation. I will really miss my little hen - she was so sweet with such a great personality.

I’m sorry, that truly is sad. I’m sure she will be forever remembered. We had one of ours shredded to pieces by a hawk when she was a small chick. I wish you good luck with the rest of your flock!

Back
Top Bottom