Hawk Attack- Pics may be considered graphic!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by karen71, Sep 3, 2009.

1. karen71

karen71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    [​IMG] My poor little girl- came home and saw pile of white feathers- looked and called and she did not come- I thought she was gone. Went out to lock up the coop and there she was sitting on the roost- she looked fine but I decided to look - she has gashes on her back-
    So she is in a dog crate in the garage - I just came back from walgreens have the Pedialyte and Iodine- though she was resting so I will torture her for her own good tomorrow morning- also read feed her high protein food- I guess she gets eggs in the morning - am I missing anything ?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:What do you mean by "torture" her?

3. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] I haven't had this happen to any of my birds, but from what I've read, you need to keep her quiet and warm. Maybe flush the wound with some diluted peroxide?

Someone more experienced will come along so I'll do my duty by giving your post a bump.

4. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    She means she won't wake her up to bother her with cleaning it right now because cleaning prob burns. I think you have all of it.

5. Buugette

Buugette [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra

May 26, 2009
    Bucks County, PA
    Oh poor baby... I hope she will be okay.

D

6. chixrus

chixrus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2008
    aw, i'd be devastated if something happened to my little silkie...at the very least she is still alive, that's quite a feat if it was a hawk!

7. muell112

muell112 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Bangor, ME
    Check out the thread "Is it possible to heal? pic*very graphic*" by wannahavehens. There is a lot of discussion about treating an injury like that.

8. karen71

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    Quote:What do you mean by "torture" her?

Just meant clean her up no real torture but i can imagine that it feels good to be cleaned up with cuts- I know I don't like it

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  9. karen71

Apr 27, 2008
    Bear, DE
    Thank you every one - I will check out the other post about the hawk attack- tomorrow everyone is staying in - The hawk will probably be back looking for more- I hope she makes it [​IMG]

10. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Once you get her healed up a bit, wonder if a chicken saddle would be beneficial? Keep the others from pecking at it? HenZ

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by