Hawk attack please help!!!!!

Well the butterfly bandage just didn't work.. So I super glued it!:bow hoping it worked, it was a lot herder than I thought too.
The rest of the flock it stress other than braggs raw apple cider anything else help them recover?
Thanks

Well the butterfly bandage just didn't work.. So I super glued it!:bow hoping it worked, it was a lot herder than I thought too.
The rest of the flock it stress other than braggs raw apple cider anything else help them recover?
Thanks

The flock may take a while to recover from the shock, they may stop laying for a couple of days. Apart from Apple cider there isn't a huge amount you can do for them, I would just treat them and try to revert everything back to normal as soon as possible.

The following is a link to a blog, with graphic pictures, of the healing process from a fairly severe wound.
Perhaps their experience will be helpful for you.

http://richie-cunningham.com/2012/04/11/chicken-wound-healing-process/

As for the flock, when stressed I give a vitamin/electrolite/probiotic in their water. Rooster Booster or Save-a-Chick.
It took about a week after a hawk attack for my birds to return to 'normal" behavior, but mine are permanently more wary, which I think is a good thing. My rooster alerts easier, and everyone charges to get under cover pretty easily now. They are just more easily spooked. It's a pretty traumatic event for them. I have both a covered run and an open run, and they have access to cover all the time. I also don't let them out into the open run until later in the morning now. Hawks can attack at any time of day, but mine seem to be more active in the morning.
I can usually tell, just by where my chickens are hanging out, if a hawk has been around.

Hope your bird recovers!

thanks to all you suggestions... time will heal!! I hope!!

I'm sure I was as scared as the girls were!

I hated seeing that hawk fly away.... and only seeing a pile of feathers!!
I"ll keep you all posted!
Michelle

Back
Top Bottom