Hawk attack please help!!!!!

mmclaughlin

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 28, 2013
New Hampshire
My chicken has taken an attack from a hawk not sure what to do for the wound I have attached a photo please advise how to treat
Thank
Michelle

Where on the chicken is the wound?
First things first you need to stem as much of the bleeding as you can and and disinfect the wound. Blue Kote should disinfect and deter an other birds from picking at the wound (be warned though it dyes everything is wear gloves). If it gets infected, seek the help of a vet.

If you can't get the bleeding to stop seek the help of a vetinarian.

The hen will be very stressed, apple cider vinegar in the water should help.

I have attached a list of home remedies for chickens like pain relief and great items to have in the house should this ever happen again :
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...dy-and-essential-supplies-and-how-to-use-them

Hope that helps and she gets better soon.

Last edited:
Right below and to the side of her vent... Would that be her abdomen area (fleshy area)
I sprayed with vestry in and I have her in the house in a covered crate with water.

Right below and to the side of her vent... Would that be her abdomen area (fleshy area) Yes.
I sprayed with vestry in and I have her in the house in a covered crate with water.
Is she eating and drinking? If she has not gone into shock, great. Keep her warm. If tame, handle her. I have found that birds that are handled in this type of a situation do better than those that are left alone.

Last edited:
Yes she is eating an drinking .. Can I giver anything special like scrabbled eggs or oatmeal? I have put her in the spare room in a small crate with a towel in it and a cover over it. I feel the wound should be closed.. Thought maybe a butterfly bandage to have the torn skin meet for a better chance of healing.. She is not a laying pullet only about 28 weeks.. Her sibling has been laying about 3 weeks.
Any other suggestions ? I've been reading a lot on first aid today....

Where on the chicken is the wound?
First things first you need to stem as much of the bleeding as you can and and disinfect the wound. Blue Kote should disinfect and deter an other birds from picking at the wound (be warned though it dyes everything is wear gloves). If it gets infected, seek the help of a vet.

If you can't get the bleeding to stop seek the help of a vetinarian.

The hen will be very stressed, apple cider vinegar in the water should help.

I have attached a list of home remedies for chickens like pain relief and great items to have in the house should this ever happen again :
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/...dy-and-essential-supplies-and-how-to-use-them

Hope that helps and she gets better soon.

There really is no bleeding .. Although the it looks like muscle or something is protruding ? But if I put skin together it holds together well? Is bluekot better than vetrycin ? I will keep her in and quiet till some healing takes place.
Boy what a rough day!
1f631.png

Thank you for you reply
Michelle

Yes she is eating an drinking .. Can I giver anything special like scrabbled eggs or oatmeal? I have put her in the spare room in a small crate with a towel in it and a cover over it. I feel the wound should be closed.. Thought maybe a butterfly bandage to have the torn skin meet for a better chance of healing.. She is not a laying pullet only about 28 weeks.. Her sibling has been laying about 3 weeks.
Any other suggestions ? I've been reading a lot on first aid today....

Give her whatever she likes (my chickens love boiled eggs; shell and all-thoroughly mashed). I think the bandage idea a good one. Good luck.

Eating and drinking is a good sign.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom