Hawk attack. Should I suspect repeat visits?

urbanfarmer101

Songster
12 Years
Apr 14, 2010
Colorado Springs, Colorado
A hawk got one of my girls today.
sad.png
Thankfully it wasn't one of the kids favorites. I,however, was still bummed. We scared the hawk away and held a funeral. What say you all, is it going to come back here everyday?

My girls have a fenced pasture to play in. In the year I have had them, I haven't had hawk trouble.
roll.png
I am hoping we are not going to start now!

Once they know there is a food supply, they will come back regularly.
I recently had a small one grab a juvenile from right in front of me and he has come back with his mate (or whatever she is) every day since. I didn't have hawk problems the last 2 years, now they have been coming for weeks just to check if there is another opportunity to grab one with no luck.
I am hoping they will give up eventually.

If there aren't shrubs for them to run for cover under, scatter things around that they can take cover under. You may have to get creative, an old picnic table, some kind of A-frame type things, some plywood pieces up against sawhorses, maybe lawn chairs... whatever you can provide that they can run for. Mine are very alert about anything bigger than a robin that flies overhead and they dodge under the nearest shrub, trailer, table or chair.

thumbsup.gif
I even use my car and or my truck. LOL I also use bottle rockets ever time I see them. The more sky your chickens can see the better off they are, If there free range. CD's and or shiny tin, fishing line.

I've had a a hawk try to get my girls several times over the course of several months. Yes they will keep coming around, even if they don't catch anything but if they see something they like.

Stand upright four by fours into the air where your chickens free range...or any upright tall posts... They can't come down w/o hitting their wings.. They will quit trying.

Try keeping them in the coop for a week or so only free ranging them in the early evening when you are present. Hopefully it is a migrating bird, and it will move on. My pigeons are on lockdown until next May. It appears that the migration has started here in New Jersey all ready. Once they find a source of food, they will hang around.

Back
Top Bottom