Hawk attack - will it come back for more?

CJS Flock

Songster
Jul 14, 2020
Hi All,
Yesterday a hawk attacked and killed my silkie and basically fed on her for over an hour until there was very little left. I caught the whole thing on video. Poor baby thought it was clear after waiting when the others ran for cover and it wasnt. I'm hesitant now to let them all out in their "free range" area because I dont know if the hawk will come back for more today. I've not had an issue for over a year as my dogs are usually out in the yard throughout the day. Just so happened lots of rain kept them inside :( I'm going to put up some scarecrows this weekend since I have PTSD from the rooster I had, so dont really want to go down that route. Do you all know if hawks come back day after day? Any insight is helpful!

Yes, daily. They only eat what they need, unless they are feeding young. Free range = open range / buffet, unless you are capable / willing to deal with it. Predators die too - swiftly.
They also avoid netting, but netting doesn’t work in colder climates due to snow. There is a lot to learn about predators.

Defintely the hawk will come back and others will figure it out too! You need a roof of some sort! I do not let my silkies out unless I sit with them to run around chicken yard! I was warned by lady thst hatched them hawjs will kill them right away and she said silkies have poor eye sight because of poof on their heads once they are matured!

Attachments

• 20210729_182120.jpg
    20210729_182120.jpg
    475.7 KB · Views: 47
Certain conditions are more favorable for the hawk and will cause it to return. The fact that it scored a meal, it knows where to find more. Unfortunately even with a lock down, that hawk will be constantly checking the area. Having the dogs out when they free range is a good option. I usually listen for the signs of the birds when I free range and know when to be on alert. A rooster is a good bet, but depending on the rooster and size , a hawk can still over come. For now keep them in a run and try and cover the run on top so the hawk can’t see them.

on

So sorry for your loss. I agree with the others. The hawk will keep coming back. I don't free range any more due to losses from predators in the past. I have nice large pens for my birds covered with good heavy duty netting electric wires around the coops and pens and concrete under the gates. Lessons learned the hard way. The birds are happy and there are ways to entertain them in their pens. I have posted this picture before. Good luck...
IMG_20180503_094047.jpg

Thanks everyone! I have a 100 Sqft area with temp fencing that they free range in and it has a pergola and bench for them to hide under. The temp fence connectes to our permanently fenced in area with a large covered area off the coop. Everyone made it back to the coop covered area but her. She hid under the bench until she thought it was clear :( I have cameras that I keep a live video feed on at my desk while I work (yes, I'm that nuts) but didnt see it happen since I was on a call, I watched the recorded video later to see what got her. I now keep the volume up so I can hear when the hawks are screetching. She was my only silkie and older, just sucks she had to go out like that. I've not let anyone in the open area since the attack and just wasn't sure if and when I should. Thank you again everyone, for your insight!

Attachments

• IMG_4542.jpg
    IMG_4542.jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 45

Back
Top Bottom