1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk attack

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bellofthebay, Apr 15, 2016.

1. bellofthebay

bellofthebay New Egg

Jul 26, 2013
    The duck has a gaping wound us there anything I can do?

2. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Please post a picture. Vetrycin spray could be a start. I would have to see the wound. Cleaning the wound. Stopping any bleeding.

3. bellofthebay

bellofthebay New Egg

Jul 26, 2013
    I picked her up but once she stopped being traumatized she wanted down now in the bushes near our house.
    The wound is large no real blood almost as if the hawk pecked skin away and exposed underneath.
    I figure she will die but trying to save her only one female left.
    They free range and she is nervous with me but used to me feeding and my voice.
    She is still alert and able to walk.
    I do have a chicken coop that I could section off if you think that might help??

4. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    (I posted this on the other thread for you too )

If you are in america,

Vetricyn liquid spray wound care is great is for all animals with deep wounds to heal and fight infection, if u do not have that try some hydroperoxide and some neosporin and bandage it up with some medical cloth and gauze. Both of those things are completely safe for ducks , i use them, i know other who use them, the priority now would be to stop any bleeding, get her hydrated and start healing the wound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by