Hawk attack!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Squeak61, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Squeak61

Squeak61 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2017
    Connecticut
    Boy, did I have a crazy day! I came home, and not ten minutes later, my mom is in the backyard SCREAMING. I automatically knew it was about the chickens, so I ran. I went out there, and feathers were everywhere! One of my chickens almost got taken by a hawk! My mom kicked at it and yelled, so it ended up dropping my chicken. Thankfully, she wasn't hurt. All my chickens were terrified though :( They were all huddled underneath a nesting box, a few were trying to dig under the coop. After I herded them into the coop, I grabbed the chicken that got picked up and checked on her. Poor thing! Last time I let my chickens outside the run unsupervised.

2. The Angry Hen

The Angry Hen Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    I am so sorry to hear that! :hugs :hit :(
    Is Squeak okay? :)

Squeak61 likes this.
  3. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    Hawks are the predators I am most challenged and frustrated by! I'm glad you and your mom were able to avert a disaster.

Squeak61 and The Angry Hen like this.
  4. cow whisperer

cow whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

I am too! Right now all of mine are either in the coop or hiding under it because of the T-storm we are having. Yesterday there was an Eagle flying around here and got one of the neighbors geese bit I was lucky didn't get my chickens.

Squeak61 likes this.
  5. Squeak61

May 22, 2017
    Connecticut

The Angry Hen likes this.
  6. Squeak61

May 22, 2017
    Connecticut
    Thanks, they really are the hardest to keep away :(

The Angry Hen likes this.
  7. The Angry Hen

The Angry Hen Overrun With Chickens

Dec 17, 2016
    Maine
    I am glad Squeak is fine, your welcome!

Squeak61 likes this.
  8. Squeak61

May 22, 2017
    Connecticut
    Wow! I can't imagine having eagles around, they must be impossible to stop. I hope none take any of your chickens, and I wish your neighbor the best :hugs

9. cow whisperer

cow whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

They sure are and a farmer can't do anything about the eagles seeing how they are an endangered species and under special law here in NY. That eagle is a threat so something should be able to be done but nope. The eagle isn't a small one either, he's HUUUGE!!!!!

Squeak61 likes this.
  10. Squeak61

May 22, 2017
    Connecticut
    That just sounds like a huge hassle! I'm sure it must be so frustrating to not be able to take care of the issue, since they're endangered. Hopefully none of your birds get taken. Best of luck :hugs

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by