Hawk Attack

I agree with using saline to clean the wound. A teaspoonful of table salt per quart or liter of water. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer for 5 minutes then cool to room temperature. Apply an antibiotic ointment such as plain triple antibiotic or neosporin twice a day. If she is alert, can stand and walk, and is eating and drinking, she should recover. She could be in shock at first, but hopefully she will recover.

Thank you everyone for your help. She is in a warm dark place, she makes a little noise when I walk in to check on her . I think she may be becoming weaker as she is laying down now and barely moves her head to look at me. She isn't eating anymore, but she did eat about a handful of feed this afternoon. I have set out some watermelon bits hoping that will get her to eat and keep her hydrated as it doesn't seem she is drinking water.
I am wondering where I would get antibiotics? Do I buy them from the vet, or would a feed store have them?
Another question about what she should be drinking.
Would it be best to buy electrolyte powders or is it okay to DIY it, I found a recipe that calls for warm water, salt, sugar, and baking soda.? Has anyone tried this?

I recently had a hen get attacked by an opossum due to my negligence. She has a deep wound in her back. Thankfully, the hen has seemed to have come around from being very weak and wan to being a little feisty. You should be able to get antibiotics for your girl from the feed store, or the vet if you want to pay more.
My chicken is drinking dilute electrolyte powder. I've DIYed it before, no real difference in my experience. She's picking at mashed egg yolk, but not a ton. I think she's still in some pain, so she won't eat. Your hen may be experiencing the same.

My best to your hen... this stuff is a nightmare. I hope you are okay, and I hope your hen pulls through too.

Electrolytes would be very good. I used what I had on hand at the time hence the save a chick.
Fluids are important if you can manage to get them into her.
Try tuna or scrabbled egg too.

She is in a warm dark place, she makes a little noise when I walk in to check on her . I think she may be becoming weaker as she is laying down now and barely moves her head to look at me. She isn't eating anymore, but she did eat about a handful of feed this afternoon.
I am wondering where I would get antibiotics?
Another question about what she should be drinking.
How is your hen doing?

I had a chicken come back from her beak completely breaking off in half. She would not eat for the first night but after the shock weared off I could tell she was in pain and every hour I had to feed her and give her vitamin water slowly through a a siringe for about 45 min but eventually she regrew her beak and is fine now. The same chicken also completely scalped herself to where you could see her skull. We kept the would moist with chapped cow udder cream (I know that sounds weird but it works very well!) we also gave her vitamins and protein supplements to make sure if she didn’t eat that she would atleast get her nutrients when she drank. We kept her in a old enclosed dog crate in the rabbit room where it is nice , warm , and quiet. She may have some issues with those muscles when it heals but it is a good sign that she is responding to you when you check on her. It means that she can still register you and is not in too much pain to even dare move. Good luck and I wish you the best!

Good morning everyone. Thank you again for all of your support.
She made it through the night! This morning with the lights off she still only made a noise at me when I checked in. After I let a little bit of light in she began eating the watermelon I left out for her last night. I haven't seen her drink any water but have been hand feeding her that to help her along.

As for the scrambled eggs some of you have suggested, I am wondering if my other birds(turkeys, geese, and ducks) can have some too or if it is only meant for recovering chickens?

Oh it’s great protein by all means give them some! It’s especially good to give during molt.. help replace needed protein. Gotta try TUNA! Seriously they love it and again it’s a great source of protein. Glad to hear made it through the night. Keep offering her water. Sometimes if you put the water up on a brick or box to raise it up it’s easier for them. She just might be sore in areas you just don’t know about. Thanks for the update.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom