Hawk attack....

Bsklgn

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2018
Been raising for 16 years and have never come across this. A 6 month old baby got attacked by a hawk. lost an eye. hawk had grabbed her by the head.
now she lays in a bin with straw and can not stand, nor does she make any attempt to cluck or squawk. her body temp is much warmer than her sisters but her feet are freezing cold. i have spent the past 2 days force feeding her food and water through a syringe.
i fear she may now be breain dead and i have no idea what to do.

You're probably right about being brain dead or at least brain damaged. Hawks typically attack to cervically dislocate.

There's a slight chance the chick is in shock. Use warm Gatoraid or mix some warm water with sugar and a bit of salt and baking soda and give that to the chick every hour. If it's shock, this should bring her out of the stupor.

Sorry about your pullet. It does sound like she may not recover. Time and your supportive care will tell if she will get any better. I hope that she recovers. I lost a half blind polish hen a couple of years ago when a hawk ran her into a chainlink fence. A second one decapitated her on the other side of the fence.

today she has repeatedly open one of her eyes, though she is
You're probably right about being brain dead or at least brain damaged. Hawks typically attack to cervically dislocate.

There's a slight chance the chick is in shock. Use warm Gatoraid or mix some warm water with sugar and a bit of salt and baking soda and give that to the chick every hour. If it's shock, this should bring her out of the stupor.

that did the trick. she is conscious again. sleeps a lot but is eating and drinking out of a bowl and cup instead of syringe. she lets us know when she is done eating and drinking and though she stood once for a moment, still does not have great enough balance. she has clucked three times and has begun to blink instead of keeping her bloodshot eyes closed.

Update:

Xena the Warrior Hen is....

...a mess. She has issues with both her legs and her pupil is torn in her right eye. She can see out of it, but she prefers to keep it closed because it definitely messes with her vision. She can run for short periods of time but she can not stop herself, only stopping when she runs into something. She has a slanted side-ways gait that makes it seem she may just fall over at any time. She is also now the smallest member of her flock, having virtually missed a whole growth spurt. Furthermore, she cowers in fear of the other chickens, even her sisters. Whenever she gets to terrified she comes to me, hiding against my legs, even trying to climb into my lap. She is just a boney ball of feathers and anxieties. I did not leave her long in the pen, but will give her more time tomorrow, slowly bringing her back into the flock.

Back
Top Bottom