Hawk attack

AshleyW

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 4, 2011
I came home from my parents a few hours ago and seen a hawk flying away. My first though was my chickens, all of them were hiding in the coop but one. My boyfriend and I went to the area we seen the hawk coming from. We found her laying by the creek soaking wet and cold and bloody. We brought her inside, cleaned her up and checked her over and dried her the best we could and I sprayed blue cote on the only place that was the hawk got her. I have her under a heat lam now in the quietest room. I have offered her water but she wont drink any. She's just sitting there fluffed up and doing a smacking thing with her beak. Her breathing has evened out some. I'm sure she must have been terrified. Other than the on spot on the back of her head she has some broken and missing feathers. Is there anything else I need to do? I haven't offered food, her crop was full. Thanks.

Not really. You sound like you are doing good. Let her calm down. The main thing is to hope the hawk did not do to much internal damage. If she is not eating or drinking tomorrow, you might have to help or make her. If she makes it 24hours, then it is a good chance that there may not be any internal injures or just minor ones.

I came home from my parents a few hours ago and seen a hawk flying away. My first though was my chickens, all of them were hiding in the coop but one. My boyfriend and I went to the area we seen the hawk coming from. We found her laying by the creek soaking wet and cold and bloody. We brought her inside, cleaned her up and checked her over and dried her the best we could and I sprayed blue cote on the only place that was the hawk got her. I have her under a heat lam now in the quietest room. I have offered her water but she wont drink any. She's just sitting there fluffed up and doing a smacking thing with her beak. Her breathing has evened out some. I'm sure she must have been terrified. Other than the on spot on the back of her head she has some broken and missing feathers. Is there anything else I need to do? I haven't offered food, her crop was full. Thanks.

She's probably in shock. Keep her inside and keep her warm. Blu-kote is good. But you might want to use neosporin on the wounds til they heal. Provide feed and freshwater for her. Once she recovers, she'll start eating/drinking again, might take abit of time though.

I had one of my hens get attacked by a dog...she didn't seem harmed just a few lost feathers. But I have to say the whole flock was in shock..no eggs for a day or so...they all came around even the one that was attacked. I spent some time talking to them and trying to feed them treats. Good luck. I swear love is the best medicine sometimes!

I had a Red Tail hawk come down and attack one of my EE hens and it hit her so hard it knocked her out ! The Whole flock went flying in different directions...The Rooster was raising hell, and I found the poor hen out cold...I thought she was dead, till she came to....I looked her over and no wounds, just some lost feathers.....she didn't come out to free range for a long time.....good luck with yours....~Charm1704

Thanks. I hope she pulls through. I went in the coop a while ago to check on every one. They seemed really down. When I saw her laying there by the creek I thought for sure she was dead. I started to cry. When we got her into the bathroom she was pitiful. She walked over to me and just laid her head down on my lap. What really shocked me about this is the roosters wasn't making a sound when we got there. Usually if they see anything they throw a fit.

Morning update. She is about the same but she will stand up and move around some. Still not eating and drinking. I'm going to start doing that myself. Would adding an antibiotic to the water be a good idea?

Sorry about your hen. I would suggest her favorite food just to get her to start eating. Once she is eating I would give her some hard boiled egg and yogurt for the protein. I am not a big fan of antibiotics unless necessary. I found an injured rooster that did the same thing with his beak. I wondered if he was nervous or in pain. He is fine now ;)

Back
Top Bottom