Hawk attacks on our ducks

We have lots of Hawks at the lake where my ducks are free ranging. I didn't let them "out" until they were 12 weeks old (nearly full grown). We lost one on the second night (disappeared without a trace) but the others (4) have been fine now for almost 6 months now. I'm thinking that they are too big for a hawk to mess with? Maybe there is an abundance of easier prey?

The first attack was in the summer. The hawk took the duck and flew away. Gone. The one that killed Jelly last week stayed on our property. We just got a new duck for Quackers. She's a Muscovy. We are not leaving them outside of their coop alone. There is snow in the ground now, so it's not a big deal, but on the warmer days (which we've been having in northeast Ohio), they LOVE to be out foraging. Quackers (khaki Campbell) will protest loudly and non-stop until she's let loose.

Wow. Scary! Are they full grown ducks?
As I raised mine I kept them in a pen with fencing over the top for that reason. Once they were grown I didn't think it was an issue. Or IS it?

Wow. Scary! Are they full grown ducks?
As I raised mine I kept them in a pen with fencing over the top for that reason. Once they were grown I didn't think it was an issue. Or IS it?
it is an issue if a hawk can't carry one off to eat it it will kill and eat it right on the ground. And if ducks are left out after dark there are owls that will feast on them. The only way to keep your birds safe is to lock them up at night. And if they can be supervised let them free range during the day.

Ours have been full grown when killed. They are locked up every night. They are let out to free range every day. The woman at the farm where we got our newest duck said the hawks will keep coming back because they know there is food here.

That just doesn't make sense to me. We have only ever had 2 ducks at a time. We don't have lots of wildlife in our development. Lots of squirrels, but I've never even seen a raccoon! I know they are out there, but I've never seen them. Yet here we are, hawks aplenty.

Very interesting. We have lots of Hawks, owls, coyotes, raccoons etc. ducks are out all day and night.
Just a matter of time.
hmm.png

Ours have been full grown when killed. They are locked up every night. They are let out to free range every day. The woman at the farm where we got our newest duck said the hawks will keep coming back because they know there is food here.
Oh yes they will they love a free meal. I let my flock free range daily on half acre fenced in and lock everyone up at night , we always take a chance letting our ducks etc live as close to the way they would naturally and I wouldn't have it any other way but We may lose a few because of it. So far since 2004 I haven't lost a duck or goose to a pred. but I have lost some chickens to hawks. I would not take a chance though and leave my flock out at night they would be gone before the week was up. Give them places to get under even making shed like structures for them to get under quick away from flying preds. Shrubs/trees also work well here they are with out leaves so during winter they don't give very good cover. Predators are everywhere even in suburbs.

Back
Top Bottom