Hawk - bought to lose my patience

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by cadman68, Nov 2, 2007.

1. cadman68

cadman68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2007
    Middle TN
    I have done all the things i can think of, short of totally enclosing the pen, to stop this hawk from getting my chicks but to no avail. he has already got 4 of them and i am about to lose my patience and shoot him. I know it is not advised but i am to the point that i really don't care. Guess i just needed to rant a little (as i load my shotgun) so thanks everyone for being here to listen to my frustrations. [​IMG]

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    I am thinking it is time to enclose your pen.

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Could you keep your chicks in a completely enclosed area until they're bigger and less tempting for a mid-day snack for the hawk?
    I've got hawks all around, but my chickens are older and run for cover or just stay in the woods.

4. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    If it is the same one over and over, SHOOT HIM!

5. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    http://www.cutlersupply.com/store/page.topright.html

If
    you cant afford to put this heavy netting over your pen, then go to Home Depot/Lowes/Menards/Ace and buy some bird netting. It is meant to be used over fruit trees but will work against flying predators in a pinch.

Chel

6. debashan

debashan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2007
    Oquawka, IL
    Is it legal to shoot any birds of prey?

7. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Nope.
    It'll get you a fast ticket to the hoosegow...

8. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    If you have a small area to cover and don't want a net, get one of those thousand yard plus spools of fishing line from K-Mart. Criss cross the line over the area and put little pieces of material on it. This worked for the a friends little girl. It was her brother that came up with the idea. He was tried of seeing his sister crying over a lost chick.

9. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Wow panner, wish I had known that 2 days ago. It is really expensive to try and enclose an area. But after what we went through with the hawk literally crawling under a bush to get to my hens, I don't care if it takes Fort Know to keep em safe. But great idea about the fishing line!!

10. hoosierhen

hoosierhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2007
    Indiana
    I am going to fence a small area for my chicks this weekend. I like the fishing line idea, especially since the area will be temporary. (A bigger area will be coming as soon as I get a little time ) My daughter and I took some chicks out today (They are 7 weeks old) to enjoy the weather and they loved it!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by