Hawk Control!

wbruder17

Songster
9 Years
Jun 7, 2010
Portland, OR
So, we started throwing leftover meat scraps onto the roof of the shed to feed the crows, and in return, they keep a vigilant watch over our yard 24/7.... attacking and chasing any hawks, falcons, osprey etc away from the yard! Symbiosis at its finest! :D

Sounds like an interesting idea however my problem is the Crows!!. I have never seen a large predator (although I've HEARD an owl) but I had major problems last year with crows decapitating my 6-8 week olds when I let them out to play. I had to 100% stay outside while they were free ranging or I'd loose a few.

My problem right now is a hawk eating them.. And the crows are here, but he isnt to worried.. maybe I should do this, to add to their numbers?!

I certainly dont trust the crows to keep 100% watch.... but as they are always looking for the next offering, there are always lots of them around, roosting in trees, flying over, and they make their nests nearby.... so there is a large number of them around at any given time.... and they HATE the raptors. Ive never seen them bother the chicks i have running around. Perhaps because they are well fed?

Hmm. Sounds interesting. I really like crows, and when I was a kid, we even had one as a pet for a short time. It was shot by a neighbor behind our house and then left to die in our yard. We nursed it back to health and released it eventually. Good to know they are being of some benefit.

Hawks are a real problem around here and after loosing 3 chicks last year to a Cooper's hawk, my neighbor made a giant spider web like pattern in heavy duty fishing line over her chicken yard from her house to the fence. Since she put it in, she has not had the hawk stop by.

we do the same with magpies here (same size and twice as nasty as crows), great hawk deterrent... and the best part, when they start to get aggro with your chickens, you can shoot them and let the next family move in.

We have crows that live in a large Ponderossa Pine next to our property, and they chase off all birds of prey, especially a few Osprey that venture close to our yard. The crows have never even taken so much of an interest in our pullets. They seem to leave small birds alone as well, our yard is full of them. Interested to hear others experience with this, if we should be concerned when we put younger chicks out in the future. So far the crows, though annoyingly loud, have been helpful in security.

I say whatever works go for it. Me, I get way to many crows and for some reason they annoy me with their talk. I do love to see them chasing the hawk though! I read crows can count to 4.

Back
Top Bottom