Hawk deterrent

I have dogs outside, but lately we've had a mentally unstable hawk? It just sits in trees and shrieks for the last week. Or swoops at everything dogs present or not. What can I do with that? I really don't know how to get it to move on.

Hawk species important here. It ay not be targeting your chickens especially if staying around for a long time. Do you have lots of rodents or small birds?

I believe it is a Coopers hawk. My husband watched it catch a mole & ive seen it go for the chickens. Its possible it hangs around for other things but this is the first time I've had a hawk hang around with humans outside as well. We can be in the yard and it shrieks at us. We've sent a couple bb gun shots in the air but it always comes back.

Last edited:
I had a red-tail hawk attack one of my blue cochins, she was fine, but is nearly blind in one eye. Luckily, I saw the hawk out there and chased it off. I have since put up netting (we were planning on doing so anyway). I see hawks and crows out here almost everyday.

Some hawks are relentless. Just today I ran one off twice from the run. But it was too late. He had already taken two of my chooks. Needless to say a top is going on. My Black Maran rooster is learning to be a great alarm. I hate for mine to be cooped up all the time but I've lost more than 5 in the last week. Today is the first time I actually caught the culprit, and it wasn't even on my game cam! It was because my rooster sounded the alarm.

Last edited:
I have/had a hawk that would sit in the tree right on the fence line and swoop down to get the chickens when they settled in by the fence. I took a length of deer netting and tied on long side to the fence and secured the other long side however I could- some areas I could tie with string to nearby tree, others I had to put in one of those t-posts and tie it to that. If the hawk tries to swoop down, the netting should stop him But only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom