Hawk eyeing my chickens - Picture!

yuckyuck.gif

Quote:
Ummmm I don't think you can kill them legally. It is their home (before we ever got here) so all we can do is protect our babies with secure covered runs and /or netting in the pastured areas.

Quote:
A rock with a little gunpowder behind it is much more effective.

Considering? We have nieghbors with chickens too, they are sick of them also! Many acres for them to hunt just not on mine...
rant.gif

We had our first batch of 5 babies. Last few days we are down to 2. My husband usually keeps a tight eye on things but has been extremely busy with harvest season. We didnt know if it was neighbors barn cats, our dog, or something else.

First day, I was like,,,
hmm.png

second day, I was like
somad.gif
I told my husband, what ever it is,,, I want it gone! They are getting my babies,,,
hit.gif

Today he calls,,,, HAWK. BIG HAWK
somad.gif

He's thinking gun powder too, but he says, SMART hawk,,, in tree facing neighbors house, can't shoot.
he.gif

Last spring we had baby hawks in our huge pine tree,, so, cute. Not so cute when they eat my babies. I really dont want to shoot it, they are great for rodents and they are beautiful.

I may have to bring mama and babies in.

We hung a few CDs and a WW2 hanging net (like they used to protect cities from airplanes). So far, so good. We had the hawks visiting often as they live only 700 feet from the coop, including sitting on a chail link fence 50 feet from the girls. They have not been back sincec we put that up. Knock on wood.

I used 4 stained 2 x 4s (12' and 16') with eye screws to run the mason twine. I attached the CDs to hanging lengths as shown. The whirling CDs do really set up a light show that doesn't bother the girls.
35063_hawk_net_1.jpg

35063_hawk_net_2.jpg

Sorry guys, but when it comes to predatory birds, I would never agree SSS is the way to go.
WI has a fierce DNR and it would be a HUGE loss of chickens to justify the $10,000 MINIMUM MANDATORY fine they slap you with out here.

Plus, hawks are nothing compared to the eagles in AK/Canada/Washington- I have seen those suckers and they KNOW they can't be touched. Those birds have serious attitudes.

That soapbox preached- GREAT PICTURES!!

Back
Top Bottom