Hawk hurt my hen

sevenlucky7s

Songster
6 Years
Mar 22, 2017
A hawk got my full grown hen today. Thank goodness my son was outside to scare it away. There is a tear in her skin under the wing and also her head is cocked to the side. I sprayed The wound and wrapped it so she couldn’t peck at it. I tried To use new skin to close it up but it wouldn’t hold it shut. Any advice? She’s our baby and it breaks my heart. We do have her separated from her flock now.

It’s not really bleeding and the first photo is when I had The new skin on but it didn’t hold
27B48E57-1C1A-490E-8B6C-C1AC4DDD64A9.jpeg
FDCEDB74-944F-4924-95DF-A622FF7D1621.jpeg
c

I would that wound treat with:
A nice lukewarm epsom salt soak or warm water soak to flush it;
let her dry then;
Blue-Kote or Triple antibiotic and keep her isolated inside with water and food if that is an option. Just to reduce her activity level for a few days. It doesn't look bad at all.

Last edited:
Poultry wounds are usually quick to heal, I would probably just trim any feathers around the area, if present, lavage it with a little bit of either betadine 1%, saline, or Chlorhexidine 0.05% using a syringe or dish soap bottle and apply a triple antibiotic ointment (Plain Neosporin, Prep H,) or you spread a little bit of honey onto the wound. Keep her away from flies for the next few days until the wound heals.

I would that wound treat with:
A nice lukewarm epsom salt soak or warm water soak to flush it;
let her dry then;
Blue-Kote or Triple antibiotic and keep her isolated inside with water and food if that is an option. Just to reduce her activity level for a few days. It doesn't look bad at all.
Thank you so much. That makes me feel much better. I’m sure she is traumatized now.

Poultry wounds are usually quick to heal, I would probably just trim any feathers around the area, if present, lavage it with a little bit of either betadine 1%, saline, or Chlorhexidine 0.05% using a syringe or dish soap bottle and apply a triple antibiotic ointment (Plain Neosporin, Prep H,) or you spread a little bit of honey onto the wound. Keep her away from flies for the next few days until the wound heals.
Thank you so much for the advice!

We live in SoCal and have Cooper Hawks with a nest in our yard. They are now starting to take dives at our girls. One got nipped, but it just bruised vs breaking the skin. We are now back to keeping them contained in their coop or tractor. I've also heard that while Cooper Hawks can't carry a full-grown hen away, they would not have any issues killing it and feasting on it on the ground.

She wouldn’t have survived had my son not been out there to scare the hawk away. She was literally paralyzed in fear. Haven’t seen the hawk since, thank goodness! Mine free range throughout the day but we have lots of tree cover and places to hide.

Back
Top Bottom