Hawk I.D, blurry picture

Hi all, figured I would share this blurry far away photo in the off chance someone could identify this hawk. I took this picture from a window so it's not great. I saw it fly to the branch and it had a light (whitish, maybe light gray) underbelly. It perched there for a few minutes watching my chickens in their enclosed (and roofed!) Run. It has been coming around lately, must have discovered the chickens and has been looking for an opportunity. Anyway maybe someone can I.d somehow. We live in upstate NY 20 miles east of Albany in a very wooded area. Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210117_151133.jpg
    20210117_151133.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210117_151120.jpg
    20210117_151120.jpg
    328.8 KB · Views: 13
Thank you! How did you know? I'm so impressed considering the photo quality. I appreciate your help. We have seen adult red tails in the area before so they are certainly frequent flyers around here!

Well, you guys have the same birds of prey that we do, so I went from what I deal with too :old. It doesn't have an owl shape. It doesn't have a long enough tail (or the white spot) to be a Northern Harrier. It is not an osprey. It's too big to be a kestrel or peregrine and the tail is wrong. You didn't mention a red tail, so I assumed it was just a baby. Of course, I could be totally wrong as well :duc

It looks like a Red Tail to me too. You can keep your birds in their coop until it leaves which may be a couple of weeks or so. I personally have my pens covered with some good heavy duty netting to protect my birds from aerial predators. One BYC member put a tube man next to her coop and it seemed to work but I would rather cover my pens. Good luck...

It looks like a Red Tail to me too. You can keep your birds in their coop until it leaves which may be a couple of weeks or so. I personally have my pens covered with some good heavy duty netting to protect my birds from aerial predators. One BYC member put a tube man next to her coop and it seemed to work but I would rather cover my pens. Good luck...
Thanks! Yes we are keeping them in the coop and run. I let them out a half hour before bed time but I stay right with them and keep a very close look out. We have heavy duty bird netting too! Glad we added that, definitely feel more at ease with it.

I also had issues with owls in the past. With the netting up along with the electric wires around the coops and pens and concrete under the gates, I can sleep at night.

Back
Top Bottom