Hawk identification (pictures included)

trebkiwi

Chirping
May 29, 2019
Apologies for the bad pictures, I stopped in front a neighbor's house and took them as fast as I could without looking like a crazy person.

Generally, I never really get the chance to see hawks upclose so I really can't tell the difference unless I actually hear them.

We do have a pair of red shouldered hawks that live around my neighborhood, which tend to stress my ducks out when they're flying around. A picture for reference.

I'm just worried that this might be a redtail, which I've never heard around here and they're very distinct sounding. Looking at pictures online, they come in so many morphs that I can't identify it.

Also, are red shouldered hawks any threat to smaller breeds of ducks? I have two mallards that can't be any heavier than a pound. I've had one or two instances of these hawks perched in a tree above their pen.

Attachments

• 138B338C-E002-4299-AFFD-2C9AE1623069.jpeg
    138B338C-E002-4299-AFFD-2C9AE1623069.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
  • 3C318F0B-CCF5-4D83-AE74-051293BF8935.jpeg
    3C318F0B-CCF5-4D83-AE74-051293BF8935.jpeg
    855.2 KB · Views: 12
  • 9A1A9042-D79A-443C-943B-2F777A36B6BF.jpeg
    9A1A9042-D79A-443C-943B-2F777A36B6BF.jpeg
    857.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 19022C36-8C93-427F-9858-D1E3996102CE.jpeg
    19022C36-8C93-427F-9858-D1E3996102CE.jpeg
    613.3 KB · Views: 14
  • A6F9AE49-D673-4FBB-A3D3-12B544DD88C0.jpeg
    A6F9AE49-D673-4FBB-A3D3-12B544DD88C0.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
Where are you in the world, in general? Looking at their different ranges may be helpful. I used to live in California, where red tailed hawks are common, now in Florida, red shouldered hawks are what we have. The pictures are blurry and nothing gives a reference to size, but based on the one picture with the tail backlit, it looks like a red shouldered hawk to me, the barring in the tail, and no real red visible. The picture in the tree, it looks like maybe you can see the red on the shoulders, and coloring looks more like a red shouldered to me. I'm certainly not an expert, but at least in the adult red tails, the red tail color is usually pretty apparent. The calls they make are also different, so if you hear it, that could be the answer also. Anyway, that's my two cents.
More here, might help:
https://www.wildbirdscoop.com/red-tailed-vs-red-shouldered-hawk.html

Of course! I take a ton or precaution especially whenever free range.

I was wondering specifically for red shouldered hawks since they're relatively small and they're the ones I'm sure are around my house. The one in the picture is few blocks aways from me.

I don't worry at all for my pekins but I'm super cautious with my mallards. Having redtails is something I've been super afraid of.
Any hawk of any size would also go after the pekins, I'm sorry to say. Looks like either a cooper's hawk of a juvenile red tail. But I could be wrong from the pictures. So many hawks look alike at different times. Where are you, Midwest, southwest, east coast etc?

Looks like a red shouldered hawk to me too. Red tailed hawks are mostly white breasted with a bit of mottled brown, the juveniles sometimes have a bit more brown. Also they are way bigger than a crow.
That one looks very red in the breast area.
View attachment 3472634

Red Tailed Hawk
View attachment 3472636
Thanks for the response! It's just so confusing with all the morphs and life stages that factor in but size seems more likely. I have some reassurance now but I will keep an eye out for it.

Any hawks are a threat to ducks or other small animals.
Is the pen covered?
Of course! I take a ton or precaution especially whenever free range.

I was wondering specifically for red shouldered hawks since they're relatively small and they're the ones I'm sure are around my house. The one in the picture is few blocks aways from me.

I don't worry at all for my pekins but I'm super cautious with my mallards. Having redtails is something I've been super afraid of.

Where are you in the world, in general? Looking at their different ranges may be helpful. I used to live in California, where red tailed hawks are common, now in Florida, red shouldered hawks are what we have. The pictures are blurry and nothing gives a reference to size, but based on the one picture with the tail backlit, it looks like a red shouldered hawk to me, the barring in the tail, and no real red visible. The picture in the tree, it looks like maybe you can see the red on the shoulders, and coloring looks more like a red shouldered to me. I'm certainly not an expert, but at least in the adult red tails, the red tail color is usually pretty apparent. The calls they make are also different, so if you hear it, that could be the answer also. Anyway, that's my two cents.
More here, might help:
https://www.wildbirdscoop.com/red-tailed-vs-red-shouldered-hawk.html
I live in North Carolina around the Piedmont area, but my house is pretty much in the suburbs. No nearby lakes, ponds, or waterways.

As for picture quality, I'd wish I'd got better ones but it was on someone else's property and it flew away upon getting closer. I'd say it was medium sized like a raven or a big crow.

But thanks for the resources! I'll check those out and be on the lookout if I see it again. I appreciate you taking the time to look at them.

Any hawk of any size would also go after the pekins, I'm sorry to say. Looks like either a cooper's hawk of a juvenile red tail. But I could be wrong from the pictures. So many hawks look alike at different times. Where are you, Midwest, southwest, east coast etc?
I currently live in North Carolina in the Piedmont area. My house is pretty much in a suburban area except for a small forest a few blocks away.

I agree, I'd wish I'd gotten a better picture and if I see it again I'll try my best. I'll take a look at those hawks and be on the lookout.

I've never really had an issues with the hawks that nest near my house but I'm always weary of them. Fortunately, the crows I feed seem to be their biggest enemy.

Looks like a red shouldered hawk to me too. Red tailed hawks are mostly white breasted with a bit of mottled brown, the juveniles sometimes have a bit more brown. Also they are way bigger than a crow.
That one looks very red in the breast area.
1681850909563.png

Red Tailed Hawk
1681851005814.png

Back
Top Bottom