Hawk left wound! Please help!

LadyRed76

Songster
Apr 5, 2017
My Banty got attacked today. Her Skin is pulled away from her breast about the size of a baseball.
No bleeding that I can see.
She is awake but in a lot of pain. She is squeezing her toes and throwing her head back in pain.
I can't stand to see her in pain. I don't know how to divide the line between she will heal and/or too wounded to heal.
She may have injuries I can not see. I can not tell.
What do I do besides use vectericyn and have a gauze soaked in saline on the wound so it don't dry up. She is in a basket in my bedroom. Calm an quiet.
I'm thinking of sewing her up after cleaning it. Should I?
Anything else I can do?

Stitch her up. Very carefully watch for veins. Use a very strong thin thread and needle. And gentley work the skin together. Picture would help a lot.

I would use some diluted hydrogen peroxide (with purified water!), and then stitch her up. I would probably give vitamin supplements if she can stand eating and drinking later. I hope she makes it! If you can get her to a vet, get her to one. And if you have gauze, wrap up the wound nicely around her body. (Wrap it tight enough to be snug, not too tight.) and change that daily.

Its hard to get a good pic,I need another hand.
The second pic is of her upper thigh that seems to be real puff,like Air trapped, might have got a lung,but I don't hear any bubbling or leaky sounds from her.

Attachments

• IMG_20170925_142911.jpg
    IMG_20170925_142911.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20170925_143011.jpg
    IMG_20170925_143011.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 15
A leaking air sac could be a possibility if there is air under the skin. If she is not in a lot of breathing distress, it may not require anything under the air goes away. But if it gets bigger or she is having trouble breathing, then you can take a sterilized needle and pierce the skin so the air can be pushed out. It can reaccumulate or need multiple sticks. I like to hold a finger over the puncture site for a bit to try to get it to seal.
I usually do not recommend closing a large wound, since there can be a possibility of wound abscess, and it is best to heal from the inside out. If stitched close, it is best to do this within a couple of hours of the injury when the edges are fresh.
There was a recent thread involving the same type of wound. I have tried to find it and post a link, but having trouble.

Thank you Eggcessive!
I didn't close the wound.
The air subsided a bit,if you touch her upper thigh she reels in pain.
She is alive and looking a bit better.
Still has not taken water,I expect her not to til least tomorrow.
I'm trying to keep it moist by just using vetericyn. But it don't seem to help the driness much.
Thank you All!
My heart goes out to you all!
Such an awesome Site!

Back
Top Bottom