Hawk Or Eagle? in A Tree

beag2.jpg

Immature bald eagle. Note the feet, yellowish. As the bird ages, the feet will get more yellow, then the bill will turn yellow too. The mottling of the feathers will change, but its not until the 4th or sometimes the 5th year that they get a while head and tail. Sometimes you'll see them with a white head and a tail that is not yet white.

030917.jpg

Here is a not-quite-adult bald eagle. It has a white head, but the tail has not yet changed, and you can still see a mottling of the feathers under the wings, and on the tail, instead of the dark brown these feathers will be when it is mature. Note the feet and bill are both yellow.

Last edited:
Wow they are pretty.... Great Picture!!

Here is a neat one my husband got of a red tail hawk. It was a big'un! We have a lot of those here, fortunately, they haven't gotten a taste of chicken yet.

IMG_5756.jpg

IMG_5757.jpg

Golden Eagles are occasionaly sighted in the Applachians south to Georgia. These are primarily Canadian residents. Usually they are spotted in the winter.

We have a Bald Eagle (or 2?), frequenting our area this Winter. There are some ponds and small lakes in the area, but they aren't keeping it in place. It is not unusual to see them at our large lakes, and along the coast. This is the first one that I have seen like this. We have seen it a half dozen times over a month, and the nearest small lake is a mile and a half away. I am guessing that he/she is ranging between a couple of them. It has been nice to have it around.

Back
Top Bottom