Hawk population increased ?

I had the visitor again today. I didn't have the right lens at the time

So ran back and got the right lens, but got caught by then (All Chicken were safe since I kept them under a PVC made Chicken Tractor)

ichoudry,

You have a red-tailed hawk juvenile. Watch that stinker as it will try for your birds.

Last edited:
ichoudry,

You have a red-tailed hawk juvenile. Watch that stinker as it will try for your birds.
Ah, thanks for the ID as I was not sure if it was a Juvenile Cooper's Hawk or Red-Tailed ... yep, he's visiting quite often, so my chickies are in lockdown when I can't be there to watch them :( .. I hate it but not much choice (I do allow them to be on that PVC tractor I made, but that's so small compare to the whole front and back backyard ... (I guess everybody just loves Chicken) :)

I too have a bad hawk problem, but my chickens have learned to pay attention. At this point, any low flying object is noticed, and if they are young, it might take a while for them to learn the danger. It is also good to have a rooster patrolling the area, as you have mentioned you have, so that's good. By the way, about how old are your chickens?

I have seen an increase here in central fl and it has been very hot so I don't think they are wintering here. I have a friend in Minnisota that sees an increase and the same with a friend in the outskirts of Las Vegas. So yes it is increasing but I don't know why yet. Of course this is empirical data gathered by me and not fact yet.

I had not really paid attention until this thread but they are definitely increasing here in West Texas. Not only that but they are flying in groups of 2 or 3. Once recently we counted 9 all in the same area circling around at various altitudes. What has saved us so far are the Martens. They will fly over the Hawk and keep going for the head until the Hawk leaves.

We free range and we also have a Red Tail nest, the nest is only 30 yards from the coop. We have so far not had any problems because we have lots of wild game for the hawks to hunt nearby and we have lots of cover for the chooks to hide under as well as the hawk wired run for them to run back to if they are close enough.

All around our property there are safe havens for our flock while they free range during the day, and we are out there with them. Our presence seems to keep the hawks, eagles and owls from attacking. When they do it is usually a dove they take instead of a chook.

My name pretty much says what my spirit animal is, I bear no ill will to the hunters of the sky, they are only being true to their nature. We as chicken keepers must do our part as protectors of our flocks but also know that on occasion we will be loosing a flock member to feed the other animals we live with.

..... I bear no ill will to the hunters of the sky, they are only being true to their nature.....

..... We as chicken keepers must do our part as protectors of our flocks.....

I agree about adhering to the laws of nature, and being true to ones' own nature. In fact I try to do that each and every day.... especially when it comes to hawks.
big_smile.png

My motto is....

"The buzzard got to eat, same as the worm!" --- The Outlaw Josey Wales, c. 1976.

0.jpg

Last edited:
I've noticed a significant increase in owls this past year, but a pretty normal amount of hawks. I stopped free ranging due to a few reasons, but when I did, I was delighted by the crows that had moved in the trees around my house. The crows were in a turf war with the hawks, and did a great job at distracting them from my babies and chasing them away!
You can have all the crackers you want, Mr. Crow!
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom