1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Hawk Saucer

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ivan3, Apr 7, 2008.

1. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    CD's/DVD's are often suggested (hanging from lines stretched over the tops of runs) as a method of deterring daytime raptors. This is a simple method of realizing the reflective potential of the disks (scare hawks/signal rescue aircraft) while rendering them nearly invisible to all but the intended targets. I posted the first shot in another hawk thread, but failed to illustrate it in actual use (the line in the pic would need to be pulled taut to maximize effect).

The purple caps are from water jugs (anything flat/waterproof/easy to punch holes through will work), a toothpick, etc., (sorry, Linux aficionados, plumb-out of AOL CD's). This is just an example to improvise from. Main goal is to get the CD pulled up tightly to the line so that it remains horizontal (don't have to see it hanging there at all). And, on any little breeze, on any sunny day, you'll be producing a `disco' light show to flummox the hawks and blind all other spies in the sky.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

AAAAAHHH!! Its a UFO!! [​IMG] Looks like a great idea! I will have to put those in the garden...I was wondering how to make them lay flat...thanks!

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

A very good idea, thanks. Remember to keep them higher than your chickens especially if they get broken- can be very sharp.

4. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    What a great way to recycle! I might have to try this when my geese are put out in their new yard.

5. ivan3

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Making these kept our youngest grandson busy for a while (the type in the first post). However, some weren't centered and wobbled too much (I don't like getting `flashed'), unless pulled very tightly to the line.

Did a bit more tinkering and guess I'll `hawk' this method:
    To keep them on the straight and narrow: Liberate some `sprayer' tubes from household cleaner bottles. Cut the tubes to length - on a bevel at either end (easy to shove through holes in gallon jug caps that have been `holed'). Then one can slip string/twisty tie/etc. through the tube and it becomes unnecessary to tie off tie tight against the fishing line.

The shots of this simplification were patched together with WinME disk (trying to be fair).
    [​IMG]

"Gort, Klaatu barada nikto" (hard to see, doubtful they'll show up on radar...)
    [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I know this is an older thread, but worth bringing up to the top. CD's work for me, but I just string the line through the center of the CD, no insert, and let them hang down. Never had a hawk dive into the pen, though we sure have plenty of them. They bounce and swing and throw reflections all over.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  7. ivan3

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Cyn, my initial configuration was similar to yours (I was advised by `she who is' to amend the installation [​IMG] ). Cass kept running into them...

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

LOL, well whatever works, right? I need to do this again over my Blue Orp and Delaware breeder pens. Those glaring white chickens can be seen from way up high, I'd imagine.

9. ivan3

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Well, at the very least, you've got a lot more pairs of eyes to keep watch, than us (I can barely keep up with these few). Nice setup!

10. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    You can also buy those large "behind the door" mirrors from Walmart for about $5.00 each. Mount them on top of your coop or whatever is nearest your run. You could even put in a fence post and mount it on top of that. Just make sure the mirror is facing upwards toward the sky. It will reflect light much like the CD's do. We've put 2 of them on top of our coop and also the roof of our house since the chickens free-range in our yard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by