Hawk Saucer

ivan3

spurredon
12 Years
Jan 27, 2007
BOCOMO
CD's/DVD's are often suggested (hanging from lines stretched over the tops of runs) as a method of deterring daytime raptors. This is a simple method of realizing the reflective potential of the disks (scare hawks/signal rescue aircraft) while rendering them nearly invisible to all but the intended targets. I posted the first shot in another hawk thread, but failed to illustrate it in actual use (the line in the pic would need to be pulled taut to maximize effect).

The purple caps are from water jugs (anything flat/waterproof/easy to punch holes through will work), a toothpick, etc., (sorry, Linux aficionados, plumb-out of AOL CD's). This is just an example to improvise from. Main goal is to get the CD pulled up tightly to the line so that it remains horizontal (don't have to see it hanging there at all). And, on any little breeze, on any sunny day, you'll be producing a `disco' light show to flummox the hawks and blind all other spies in the sky.

HawkDisc030608.jpg

HawkSaucer040608.jpg

Making these kept our youngest grandson busy for a while (the type in the first post). However, some weren't centered and wobbled too much (I don't like getting `flashed'), unless pulled very tightly to the line.

Did a bit more tinkering and guess I'll `hawk' this method:
To keep them on the straight and narrow: Liberate some `sprayer' tubes from household cleaner bottles. Cut the tubes to length - on a bevel at either end (easy to shove through holes in gallon jug caps that have been `holed'). Then one can slip string/twisty tie/etc. through the tube and it becomes unnecessary to tie off tie tight against the fishing line.

The shots of this simplification were patched together with WinME disk (trying to be fair).
HawkSaucer2.jpg

"Gort, Klaatu barada nikto" (hard to see, doubtful they'll show up on radar...)
FlyingSaucers040708.jpg

I know this is an older thread, but worth bringing up to the top. CD's work for me, but I just string the line through the center of the CD, no insert, and let them hang down. Never had a hawk dive into the pen, though we sure have plenty of them. They bounce and swing and throw reflections all over.
DCP_7281.jpg

Last edited:
Cyn, my initial configuration was similar to yours (I was advised by `she who is' to amend the installation
tongue.png
). Cass kept running into them...

Well, at the very least, you've got a lot more pairs of eyes to keep watch, than us (I can barely keep up with these few). Nice setup!

You can also buy those large "behind the door" mirrors from Walmart for about $5.00 each. Mount them on top of your coop or whatever is nearest your run. You could even put in a fence post and mount it on top of that. Just make sure the mirror is facing upwards toward the sky. It will reflect light much like the CD's do. We've put 2 of them on top of our coop and also the roof of our house since the chickens free-range in our yard.

Back
Top Bottom