Hawk Tore Up Turkey *graphic pics*

Mylied

Crowing
9 Years
Mar 12, 2012
Middle Georgia
Yesterday a hawk attacked my very large turkey hen. Her back was very bloody and under her wing but I didn't get a close look at the wounds. I sprayed her down with blu kote. Today I got a good look. She has some pretty bad gashes in the skin. Under her wing is a tear in the skin which you can see into her body. I cleaned her up some and reapplied blu kote. Should I attempt to stitch up the gashes? Anything I can give for pain? She's obviously hurting but still has a good appetite. Nothing looks life threatening or quality of life damaging. I have her isolated in a cage with lots of hay. I'll attach some pics. One looks like there's pus but there isn't. Just a trick of the light.
20210121_185028.jpg
20210121_185005_HDR.jpg
20210120_111638.jpg

Turkeys are pretty good at healing, and tending to their own wounds. I would just let it heal. You could apply a wound spray as needed. I personally wouldn't try to stitch it up. The black is healing tissue. The yellow is just the skin.

Am I the only one who finds the fact that a hawk had its sights set on a turkey shocking?

It literally scares me!
I've had a couple turkeys in the same area for a few years now with no problems. The hawks will get every single chicken I even think of putting back there but I thought the turkeys were too big to go after. I added this turkey last spring. Guess it got desperate. I have a donkey and a big tom back there too. Lot of good they did. I really don't know.

I've had a couple turkeys in the same area for a few years now with no problems. The hawks will get every single chicken I even think of putting back there but I thought the turkeys were too big to go after. I added this turkey last spring. Guess it got desperate. I have a donkey and a big tom back there too. Lot of good they did. I really don't know.
Wow wee! I am so sorry and I hope she heals up with no problems.

Yes, she's huge. Bigger than my narrangansett tom. She was a thanksgiving fail. Too sweet to eat (although I guess the hawk disagreed). But we've been watching her health and up until yesterday she was happy and active.
Did you see her attacked? Just curious.

Back
Top Bottom