Hawk tries and finds he is just too small.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by MysticalMom, Dec 24, 2010.

1. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    The ducks were out grazing as usual this morning, when right in front of us, a little red tailed hawk makes a dive. Of course my ducks are all 3 xs the size he was so he missed the meal. He got one of the Pekins in the side of the face with a talon, just a small cut, and rolled one the mutt ducks on to it's side. He sat up in a tree for awhile and pouted, but didn't try again and then just flew away. It was scary and I can't believe he tried with us right there.... but no losses. You'd think he would have known the ducks were all too big for him. Go figure.

2. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    yikes close call

3. MysticalMom

MysticalMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    We have a couple bald eagles that fly over the farm all the time. We've watched them over the years raise their young. They've never as much as acted like they even notice the flock. But that little hawk thought he was bad I guess. Close call is right. My heart dropped to my stomach. Whew.

4. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Maybe he's just practicing on larger targets to hone his skills...[​IMG]

5. Lifesong Farm

Lifesong Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Noble County
    Sounds like a young and hungry bird. Hope it finds a good meal and leaves your birds alone. Sorry about your ducks injuries. Hope they heal ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by