Hawk Under Deck

CATRAY44

Lard Cookin Chicken Woman
15 Years
Jun 4, 2008
Hillsdale County, Michigan
I was shocked today to walk out of my back door to the deck only to see a hawk fly out from underneath. It had killed an Australorp hen and was eating her about two feet into (and under) the deck space. It is a large deck and the birds always take refuge there from weather or danger. The hawk was right up next to the house. Pretty brazen.

lol.png
i THINK YOUR 10 YEAR OLD IS RIGHT ON THE MONEY!

That's horrible! I've had a hawk that has been hanging around here endlessly. Everytime I go out, it flies from it's perch in one of the trees. Or, it's sitting on the pole watching and waiting for its chance to grab a chicken. I'm ready to get a gun!

I have lost hens to a hawk too. Now, in Ohio, there isn't as much coverage since the leaves are off the trees.....So I have to be extra vigilant. Still....they're out there and I let them free range anyhow because they're happier that way.

So sorry for your loss!

THank you all. I have had hawks attack in the past, but had never known they would go under the deck to get a bird. I will keep mine in the run for the next week or so. I hope the hawks move south soon! Most of them have...

18203_hawk2_ms.jpg

My backyard visitor.

All the hens were in and under the shrubs and as soon as I snapped this, I went after the hawk yelling and waving like a loon. He hasn't been back. We have hawks all the time but lots of cover. Thankfully, the hens are very alert and run for cover at any sign of one.

I'm sorry your hen didn't make it to cover. I think as soon as a hawk is successful, it makes it harder to dissuade them. So far I've been really lucky, one time a hawk crashed into the shrubs and I was so afraid he'd be hurt and then that would have been a mess. Mixed blessing I suppose. Luckily he stumbled out of the branches and flew off trying to gather his dignity.

Coopers hawks (THE chicken hawk) will chase after their prey on the ground and through thick vegetation. I read an article that had done a study and many, many (don't recall the percentage) of the Coopers hawks that were caught or found dead or injured had healed broken bones consistent with the type of damage that could be incurred from chasing (on the ground or low flight) through heavy vegetation.

Sorry for your loss.I lost a chicken(3week burr orp) last sunday to some kind of large bird,not sure if it was a hawk.I posted a message on here about it & all i can hear is $10,000.00 fine &go to prison if you hurt/kill a Hawk.I just wanted to figure out what i was dealing with,not to get in trouble/or hurt any animal(Im a big softy to all animals!).Im a 1st time chicken owner & wanted a little advise, kinda wish i had never posted anything on here.I do plan on using deer netting/plastic owls/what ever i have to .I love my chickens & just hope the Hawk/large bird dont come back. Good luck everyone & Seasons Greetings

Back
Top Bottom