Hawk

kathef64

Chirping
5 Years
Nov 1, 2015
Came home around 12 today - first walked over to coop to let chickens out to run - hawk flew low overhead and I though how cool!

Then I noticed dead chicken in coop...so sad and I figured it was that hawk who is now flying over the yard - chickens safe under a trailer...

I threw the dead bird in my deadwood pile...should I take it out in the field or??

I want hawk to go away -

It was in the run which is protected 1/2 if that makes sense...most of the time chickens are out in yard but kept them in while I was gone a short while. I actually found chicken behind coop by fence.

Bummer! Okay, well you will have to string some wire across your open part now and hang a few CD's or sparkly streamers from it. Hawks need a clear area to fly through to get to them. Since this happened, and the hawk knows where the free meal is you will want to keep them in the run (with the protection strung across) for 3-4 days until the hawk moves on.

You're welcome! Good luck. And sorry about your chicken!
hugs.gif

Might've been a Cooper's hawk. They're rather small but very agile and opportunistic, and will get into a chicken coop even if there's just a small opening. One once hurt my Silkie, but the hawk was too small to carry her off. I thought my Silkie was dead lying motionless with open neck wounds and she was in shock, but I stitched her up and she made a amazing full recovery. Gotta watch out for those hawks...

Might've been a Cooper's hawk. They're rather small but very agile and opportunistic, and will get into a chicken coop even if there's just a small opening. One once hurt my Silkie, but the hawk was too small to carry her off. I thought my Silkie was dead lying motionless with open neck wounds and she was in shock, but I stitched her up and she made a amazing full recovery. Gotta watch out for those hawks...
I have had the same thing happen. Hawks are amazingly ineffective at killing chickens. 9 times out of 10 the hawk pins the chicken with its talons and begins feeding while the chicken is still living. This is why the head is the first part consumed, it is easly controlled by gripping the chicken's neck.

Back
Top Bottom